Russian engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
First about rpm. Check carbon deposits on cylinder and exaust pipe (there are turbines in 'egg', they should rotate easy, this pipe not best for power, but have lowest noise) and correct ignition timing (3.1-2.8mm before piston up), try to run it without air filter - it may be clogged. Normal 5500-6000 rpm.

When engine run on max rpm adjust carb (2 turns of lower bolt). Engine must work clean on max rpm.

Change standart bearings with "closed" from both sides of crankcase with plastic covers insted of standart sealing rings. Its to prevent negative air flow.

Best gasoline "old" 76-92, gasoline with highter octan number will reduce power and increase overheating.

Overheating become when cylinder temperature is highter 170C. Engine may just suddenly stop. Do not let it be cold afer this, turn it several times and then wait 10 minutes. Otherwise you will may shift piston only by hammer :) But even after this situation engine will work fine :) Once i've ride with this engine with broken piston ring about 30 km on max rpm (about 7500) with tuned cylinder + wrong gazoline = detonation and for this reason overheating was occured about 5 times...

I'm not remember, but production was stopped about 10 years ago. Now plant producing gas waterpumps with this engines without clutch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand about the turbine in the egg. I have a 1 piece exhaust pipe that does not open?

also.... what is the correct points gap?

do they overheat if you just run then the stock 5500rpm?
I am happy with the way my "D" runs....it starts every time! & it makes my trike run 20mph. I like to go a little faster, on 2 wheels!

Attachments

• russian-t.JPG
    russian-t.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 1,160
I don't understand about the turbine in the egg. I have a 1 piece exhaust pipe that does not open?

Sorry, i third that you have classic D pipe (we call it "egg"), like this: http://www.dyr4ik.ru/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=2586

About your pipe i have no information.

also.... what is the correct points gap?

0,3-0,4 mm.

do they overheat if you just run then the stock 5500rpm?

Yes! But your trike will no have overheat, i think, in cause of low speed. It's too big for 1h.p. D-engine to run on full rpm. Overheat usually when you run over 30 mph for 4-6 miles without stop.

that last bike looked like it was watercooled - is that right?

Yes, its watercooled engine. Work fine without pump, just because hot water going up, but cooled water going down.

thanks to vax & hammer for all your great info.

My Russian Spaceliner

Attachments

• 100_1546.JPG
    100_1546.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 758
  • 100_1558.JPG
    100_1558.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 869
  • 100_1548.JPG
    100_1548.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 1,755
Overheating!!!!!!

Best gasoline "old" 76-92, gasoline with highter octan number will reduce power and increase overheating.

Overheating become when cylinder temperature is highter 170C. Engine may just suddenly stop. Do not let it be cold afer this, turn it several times and then wait 10 minutes. Otherwise you will may shift piston only by hammer :) But even after this situation engine will work fine :) Once i've ride with this engine with broken piston ring about 30 km on max rpm (about 7500) with tuned cylinder + wrong gazoline = detonation and for this reason overheating was occured about 5 times...

I think I have overheated this Russian engine 3 times!!!
each time, after a gentle warm up, it has happened at almost 1 mile down the road (3/4 throttle). the engine just dies....& the clutch slips as I grind to a stop. the first 2 times, I quickly pulled the sparkplug & pedaled like madman to get it turning over again, then allowed to cool. The 3rd time...tuesday...no wrenches...what was I thinking? I pedaled & popped the clutch 3 times...the 1st two times it just slipped the clutch....the 3rd time it fired up, & I putt-putted it home. Seems to run just fine. I have not pulled the head/jug to check for damage.
I am running 20:1, fuel:eek:il ratio.

Any Ideas to help this thing run cooler? My other Russian, on the trike, hasn't done this yet. And I'm squeezing 25 mph out of it!!

Attachments

• 100_1731.JPG
    100_1731.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 1,481
Check and remove carbon deposits in head and on exhaust of cylinder and piston Another way is to bore additional channels in cylinder and piston. It will increase engine power and will help to make piston cooler.

I'll find photoes of this tune and post it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back