Rusty Spokes Suspension Beach Cruiser

Looking forward to start working on it. I will keep you guys posted. Thanks everyone for the input. Keep the ideas coming.

I take it the first pic is the bike you want to motorize, if you use the standard left side drive, get the motor as low as possible and use a spring loaded tensioner it should work
Gotta check and see how much slack is created at the motors best position. Which does seem like itd be the lower the better. As it is closest to the pivot point .

Just about every motorcycle (the big kind) have a few inches between swingarm pivot and trans drive sprocket with few issues, yours will be a bit high so a few more issues the worse being torque reaction the suspension will compress when you apply throttle so you might have to stiffen up the rear spring.

Was thinking the same thing as machanic said , should work good. If you look at some dirt bike they have a simuler setup ...............Curt

My mind automatically went to j shaft till I saw where the pivot point is. Getting a spring tensioner with enough travel in the small area from j shaft to outer crank gear would be tough not to mention the spring location being where j shaft mount would attach. I think left side drive would be easier to make happen, But I woulden't be surprised if you had to use spring tensioners to take up the slack with the pivot being so far out of alignment to the engines drive sprocket.

Alot of slack is indeed created by the suspension. Im almost to the testing phase. If successful i will post pics, if not, will keep at it.

Alright this set up is what is ultimately working best. Zero chain fails so far. Breaking in the engine with 15 min rides. The engine isnt where I wish it would sit but its the only way.

Attachments

• 20180128_144311.jpg
    20180128_144311.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 195
Back