?'s for those riding a felt mb

im thinking of doing a build this winter using a felt. i like how you can use the frame as the gastank, and the quality. my only concern is the internal gearing? what kind of top speeds is the 3 speed internal hub capable of?

moneys not a problem.... ill save all summer if i have to but im researching now. im going to use a happytime and SPB jackshaft kit for a drivetrain.

I ride a Felt Kingpin and it came with the 3 speed internal hub. It didn't last very long. It failed before I even got the shift kit on the bike. IMO converting the gas tank is a must. It is a fair bit of work without doubt but the results are more than worth it. I think the tank is the primary reason for going with the Felt in the first place. Planning on better brakes is a good idea and I personally won't ride a motorized bike without front suspension anymore. The difference is night and day.

clotho thanks for your input. im leaning towards the hotwheels 68 for my build, or possibbly the MP since its a bit cheaper.
another option of course was to purchase the frame set only and build on that.

whats involved in converting the tank?

there is a thread on here somewhere... you have to drill the fill hole and drain hole then use steel wool to plug the gaps created by the space around the seat post. Then use masking tape to plug off the holes leftover from the manufacturing process. Then use jb weld to seal the steel wool and holes. Then you have to coat the inside with some sort of chemical to resist the fuel. But....

That is all to save the paint... if you bought the blank canvas you could weld the gaps and holes, then weld in a pop up fuel cap with weld in bung designed for a motorcycle. I already bought the cap from ebay, I if I do it I am going to weld the gaps and holes and then repaint. I am thinking BASF flat black. Or OD green.

either way it is a hastle. If you have the $$$ you could just buy a ready made felt cruiser with everything ready to go from ridley motorcycles for $2400 + engine.

http://ridleymotorcycles.com/motorbike/mp.htm

Last edited:
but that would take away all the fun wouldnt it? lol
im going to get the frame kit and build on it i figure. that way i can say its totally one off

If you weld the frame be sure to equalize the welds or better yet have it heat treated again.

If you purchase the MP and plan on converting the tank I would try to get the aluminum version. The steel ones have a much smaller top tube and don't really have enough capacity. The aluminum frames have a much larger top tube and hold about the same as the average tank that comes with the Chinese kits.

HBLocal describes the process to convert the tank. I didn't use any steel wool and I am very happy with the results.

I look at the frame kit and I don't see the value. I see myself throwing away the chainguard and the front forks to begin with and you still need the great Felt wheels and tires. By the time you are done you should have just bought one of the painted bikes. Besides, converting the tank without messing up their great paint is half the fun!

I motorized #16

The #16 Felt Hot Wheels is motorized and suffers from recent rear wheel seizure at the hub. I'm purchasing a Halo DJD wheel as a replacement. I did not convert the tank though and mounted the tank on the frame using JB Weld and a big rubber bungee chord and replaced the bobber bars with a chopper style bar. I also slapped a 36T sprocket on the rear disc but the stock hub fails to handle the pot hole ridden streets of my daily commute. bike1.jpg

And added...a new carby!

I also installed a cns carby and bought a chopper exhaust pipe but still have yet to figure out how to rig it for it requires some cutting.carby.jpg Please note the Selle Royale seat because the seat frame broke while riding over some very cratered streets where I live. The seat looks cool and feels good but needs a good solid frame. Also, your back will hate you after a while because the stock seat fails to absorb the blows of urban commuting while the Selle Royale is quite soft and the springs absorb all the trauma from the street.

Back