Sabrewalt's GEBE Bike. First ride today.

S

sabrewalt

Here are pictures. I took my first ride today. Not bad at all. Tried the wicked hill that ate my Ebike controller and it does not do to bad but I did help it with some peddling. Having owned an underpowered Ebike, I have the advantage of already having learned how to "Listen to the bike and help it when it needs it. I will publish some speed tests soon. I don't know the top speed of the pedal gears but in the highest gears, I could not feel the road when I was on the flat.

I went back and forth for a LONG time regarding the RS 35 VS the Tanaka 32 and ended up choosing the RS35 and accepting it's limitations. Currently I am happy with that decision. Today was a BAD day for testing. BEAUTIFUL sunday afternoon weather and cars were FLYING everywhere!!!!!! and being ruder than normal. Finding a long stretch of traffic free was nearly IMPOSSIBLE. Even the side streets had people out acting CRAZY.

Bike needs some tweeking and a few accessories.. New seat. Better kickstand, mirrors and lights. Mount the kill switch. so on.

My first run when I chopped the throttle the belt loosend up and made a rattling noise. I noticed that belt tension arm had loosend. It did it several more times. I tightened the nut that holds the tension arm to the point that you cannot disengage it with the black knob. With the belt on it does not snap over into the "on" position and stay there. It has to be tightened. I had no more problems after that.

Sure was an easy install. I think the key is the bike you pick.

Attachments

• gebebike.JPG
    gebebike.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 374
  • gebebike2.JPG
    gebebike2.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 364
  • enginecloseup.JPG
    enginecloseup.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 358
  • gear.JPG
    gear.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 370
  • mount.JPG
    mount.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 382
Sabrewalt's GEBE Bike.

That is a nice bike, but why did you route the belt over the "outside" of the tension bearing? The GEBE install instructions show it on the "inside".

-Sam

Attachments

• gebe_tension_bearing.jpg
    gebe_tension_bearing.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 611
Like Sam said, the belt should be on the inside of the bearing. The tension arm should move freely back and forth in order to keep tension on the belt. So reposition the belt, loosen the nut that holds the tension arm so it moves freely and you should be good to go.

Nice lookin bike. I just noticed that your throttle cable looks like it's stretched pretty tight. Does it acceleratew when making a sharp turn? If so you might want to move the motor forward a bit. Just a suggestion.

I'm still looking at your pictures. Moving the motor forward would also make it much easier to fill your gas tank. Been there, done that. I have the same motor on the GEBE system and it has run flawlessly for many miles. Just trying to help.
Butch

Thanks

Oops. I will move that belt inside. Sitting here on the computer I dont see how that can tension it but I figured something was wrong. I have to work this morning but later today I will go tinker with it.

I have that motor back to prevent rubbing the belt on the brake. Lets see what happens when I move that belt inside.

The throttle was just thrown on there for a quick test ride. If I can't move the motor forward because of the brake, the throttle should be fine. I do see what you meen about the gas tank thought.

With the belt on the correct side of the tensioner, you shouldn't have any clearance problem with the brakes if you move the motor to an upright position. This is true for most mountain bikes.

Engine Reposition - Sabrewalt GEBE

Thanks for looking this kit over. This is repositioned with the holes provided by the GEBE kit. Does anybody think it needs to be higher. I can always drill a hole. I have not dressed the throttle cable or anythng just repositioned the engine and belt. Won't have time to ride it till later. Will take my GPS with me and measure some speeds.

Attachments

• GEBE2.JPG
    GEBE2.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 376
  • gear2.JPG
    gear2.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 369
Back