Sach 301-a

johnhturner1

Local time
6:23 PM
Hi all, my name is John, I was cleaning out a attic for a friend the other day and found this old bike that
has a sachs 301-a motor. It is missing the cdi and battery. Could anyone point me in a direction to find replacement parts?

Thanks

Sachs is a high quality German manufacturer of small motorcycles. At one time most racing gokarts used Sachs or Puch(Austria) engines. The only Sachs 301-a I know of is a 2 cycle rotary(Wankle) air cooled engine, usually sold as a hub motor that came complete inside a wheel with a centrifugal clutch inside the engine case. They were sold here as an aftermarket hub motor wheel kit for bicycles called Saxomat, I think. They only produced about .7 horsepower and were geared to go about 35KPH, so don't expect a lot more than that. Sachs may have built complete motorbikes for sale in Europe also, but I've never seen one.

Wankle rotary engines were produced for cars by NSU and Mazda, for snowmobiles by Rotax, for aircraft by Pratt and Whitney, for motorcycles by Suzuki, and, as you have discovered, by Sachs for bicycles. Today, I believe, only Mazda still makes rotary engines. They must rev very very high RPMs to produce much power and the apex seals wear very quickly as a result. Mazda seems to have finally cured the seal wear problem.

Sachs should be a good source of parts, as these weren't produced all that long ago, I'd recommend you buy a complete rebuild kit with new seals and gaskets, the owner's manual, the repair manual, as well as the parts you are missing. These were designed as reliable, economical transportation, like the French Solex, rather than as high performance engines. Their weakness is premature wear of the apex seals due to trying to run them faster than they were designed for. If you go ahead with this, you will learn a lot about these great, simple, lightweight little engines and have fun too. I would consider running a richer mixture than the 100 to 1 gas to oil ratio Sachs recommends, say around 75 to 1. You will have trouble finding Sachs oil, but any top quality 2 cycle oil will work. I don't know if Sachs has any dealers here, but if you can find one it will help. I wish you well if you decide to go ahead and get it running, it will be a rare, interesting, and unique motorbike.

Last edited:
Well, I just did some research and it seems Sachs made a bunch of small 2 cycle, single cylinder, piston engines that are used to power bicycles, not just the rotary I noted above, even including a diesel. If yours has a horizontal cylinder with the plug at the front mounted to the left side of the rear wheel hub, parts may be readily available. Some even had electric starters! They were sold as Saxonette, saxonette Luxus, and under several other names.

Get all the information off the motor and bike you can find, then begin your parts search.

The motor is to the left side of the rear wheel, the spark plug is in the front and it is a E-start. I will try and get more info
from the bike. When you say parts may be readily available, where would I start, I couldn't find anything on Sachs, and very little
on a 301-a.

Thanks for the help.

Go to www.ebay.nl search for 'spartamet', loads of parts appear. I used to have one of these bikes :)

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back