SAFE TOP SPEED FOR MB -- is ???

What do you feel is the maximum SAFE speed for a motorized bicycle?

• 20 or less

Votes: 16 5.3%
  • 25 or less

Votes: 39 12.9%
  • 30 or less

Votes: 74 24.5%
  • 35 or less

Votes: 62 20.5%
  • 40 or less

Votes: 37 12.3%
  • Any speed you can reach...

Votes: 74 24.5%

• Total voters

Mountainman

Local time
5:49 AM
At what top speed - do you MB riders feel safe. When I have to - I ride down to town from the top of this little mountain - 5 miles downhill - it is a fun downhill run with speeds up to - AS FAST AS I WISH TO GO - I try to hold it down to around 30 to 35 mph - can attain easily 45 to 50 mph - but - it does not feel good at that speed. I am usually wearing shorts - tee shirt or tank top - I get thoughts of hitting that pavement that's wizzing by !!! To make it even worse on my downhill runs - the state did not put in a proper bike lane - some places the bike lane is 6" wide - with cars passing VERY CLOSE at high speeds.

Let me get to the point - SAFE TOP SPEED FOR ME --- 30 mph

What SAFE top speed do you - try to stick to ???

Happy Riding
Ride That Thing -- Mountainman

A safe top speed IMO is 30-35 MPH. Any faster than 35 gets shaky and windy and scary! :eek:

Even though I used to go over 52, it now tops at approx 45 mph with my now lowered belt/axle ratio, I still prefer to drive much slower, and save the top speed for emergencies, and situations when you really need it.

I Cruise at approx 25-30 most of the time, and go fast on open roads with no cars, or crossing highways to beat the oncoming traffic, or to beat some oncoming rain. Less top speed saves gas, and also belt and tire wear for me too.

Bought a cheapie speedometer finally....

30 miles per hour is the majic number for feeling safety, can go faster, but try to stay below 30!

Hey znsaneryder, update the thread about your pusher, did you go to jail over that matter?

I average about 28mph on my commute, with my top speed each way somewhere around 37 or 38mph. I feel fine at full speed as long as the road conditions are good and traffic isn't insane. The bike feels fine at those speeds. I've said it before, but frankly if I were limited to 20mph top speed, it wouldn't be feasible for me to use the bike to commute to work 20 miles each way. As it is, I can make it to work in about 45-50 minutes, and home in about an hour (a little less actual riding time, but it takes me time to gas up, change clothes, load my bags, unlock the bike....all the stuff I don't do in the morning when I leave for work). I do a couple miles of pedal-only bike path on the way home, but not on the way TO work (too much traffic on the way home; it's more broken up in the morning). For reference, my commute by car usually takes 30 minutes each way, unless there construction, an accident, etc.

Warner

A safe top speed IMO is 30-35 MPH. Any faster than 35 gets shaky and windy and scary! :eek:

Even though I used to go over 52, it now tops at approx 45 mph with my now lowered belt/axle ratio, I still prefer to drive much slower, and save the top speed for emergencies, and situations when you really need it.

I Cruise at approx 25-30 most of the time, and go fast on open roads with no cars, or crossing highways to beat the oncoming traffic, or to beat some oncoming rain. Less top speed saves gas, and also belt and tire wear for me too.

Makes sense to me ZnsaneRyder -- for me anyway - get's a little shaky (also) at around 40 mph and over.. With my little engine on the flats 22 max anyway -- but wow am I fast downhill !!!
Ride That Thing - Mountainman

Ralph Nader would say a MB is "unsafe at any speed". :sick: But I would say that 20-25mph is a speed that is comfortable with a bicycle, motorized or not. (but try and keep a 20mph pace without an engine!) If laws are passed specifically defining a pedal bike with an "add on" engine a "motorized bike" and not a moped or motorcycle, they will most likely limit top speeds to less than 25mph

Hey 30mph seems fast on a MB think about the guy riding the Tour De France down hill they average 60 mph in some spots and the ride skinner tires I am a pedal biker right now and I can get mine up to 20 mph easy feels fine to me so I think safe is a matter of what feels safe to the individual rider. Also I agree road conditons are a big factor too. I'll most likely cruise close to 30 mph when I get my bike next year.

30 mph is just about the magic number.. but it depends on alot of factors.

Above 30 mph requires alot more power ( electric ), at one point i had things volted and geared for 50 mph but at those speeds the tires strech !!! :eek: and you have to lean and counter steer like a motorbike.

On the BMX, 30 mph " feels" alot faster, lower to the ground, sharp steering angle and flaky brakes ...

On the full suspension rig with dual disk brakes however, ( Norco Chaos ), up to 35 even into the 40's feels nice and solid, i have the thickest tubes i could cram in the tires and run 50 psi front and back with 2" wide rubber.

The folding bike , it was max 25 mph, the frame had too much flex in it for comfort, one pot hole and it's lights out...

Recumbents, i have limited experience, but i built a BikeE with a 500w cyclone chain drive setup, had a polycarb fairing on it, 40 mph on that bike felt smooth , but the 16" front wheel scares me..

Yeah. 30 mph, sound about right for most bikes..

All " Go " and no " Whoa " makes for a bad bike..

Back