SAFE TOP SPEED FOR MB -- is ???

What do you feel is the maximum SAFE speed for a motorized bicycle?

• 20 or less

Votes: 16 5.3%
  • 25 or less

Votes: 39 12.9%
  • 30 or less

Votes: 74 24.5%
  • 35 or less

Votes: 62 20.5%
  • 40 or less

Votes: 37 12.3%
  • Any speed you can reach...

Votes: 74 24.5%

• Total voters
Tour De France quality bikes are fine at speed.
Sealed bearings, safety wired, titanium etc..

Most here ride K-mart quality.

Test pilot to K-mart control...........I'm ready!!

LOL

A

I'm finding that I SLOW DOWN to 20 to make turns (and my tires are only 1.5" wide). If my bike was limited to 20 mph, it would not be practical for me anymore. It feels FINE at 30 or even 35. After that I start feeling like I'm on a motorcycle again. I'd say anywhere between 30 and 35 is good. I'm not riding a Wally World or K-Mart quality $100 bike though either. It's an older Trek, but high quality, Chromoly frame and fork, etc. I'd be scared to put an engine on a bike that started out new at $100, but that's just me. Maybe that's the difference between feeling OK at 35 and feeling unsafe?

Warner

With engine off clutch in whatever kit any speed feels safe to me down a hill.
On straights and up hills 12 to 16 mph feels safe. 20 to 25 feels manageable. Any faster and engine no like. Engine no like? I no like.

Hey 30mph seems fast on a MB think about the guy riding the Tour De France down hill they average 60 mph in some spots and the ride skinner tires QUOTE]

I've race on the road, and I can say that my bike itself feels completely safe and in control at over 50mph. The problem is other road users. Those skinny road tires are much better than typical mtn bike tires. Except on poor pavement, lol.

I'm finding that I SLOW DOWN to 20 to make turns (and my tires are only 1.5" wide). If my bike was limited to 20 mph, it would not be practical for me anymore. It feels FINE at 30 or even 35. After that I start feeling like I'm on a motorcycle again. I'd say anywhere between 30 and 35 is good. I'm not riding a Wally World or K-Mart quality $100 bike though either. It's an older Trek, but high quality, Chromoly frame and fork, etc. I'd be scared to put an engine on a bike that started out new at $100, but that's just me. Maybe that's the difference between feeling OK at 35 and feeling unsafe?

Warner

That's the problem I think here. Many people are riding junk bottom of the barrel bikes. No duh they are going to be sketchy above 30mph.... :rolleyes:

Back