Safety Gear

Rusty_S85

Local time
8:02 PM
Well I will say right up front I really am not into the whole helmet thing. I never wore one as a kid other than when I was just first starting out. With that said I have the strong belief that a helmet while it could stop brain damage it will not stop neck damage causing me to be paralyzed.

Now with that out of the way, the Ford Truck message board I am on I am showcasing my build and a couple of the posters commented that I should look into getting some WWI style aviator goggles to go with the bike since it does have that teens look to it.

I did some searching and there are some out there but the decently priced ones are really just for dress up and not really for road use. I also really don't need eye protection as I do wear glasses. But I wanted to ask people on here if you are building a retro vintage looking bike what are the views on vintage safety gear such as goggles and leather helmets?

I only ask because I have been playing around with it in my head but really cant justify spending close to $200 for real quality goggles and then another $150 for a leather helmet that has that teens vibe to it.

Having been into bikes long enough to get acquainted with a guy who stopped coming to the park, then found out he had stopped coming to the park because actually he died from a small bump on the head, I am only able to say that you need to wear a damn helmet.

If you want to protect your neck you need a helmet to go with the neck brace and a pressure suit that is neck brace compatible (most are these days).

Having been into bikes long enough to get acquainted with a guy who stopped coming to the park, then found out he had stopped coming to the park because actually he died from a small bump on the head, I am only able to say that you need to wear a damn helmet.

If you want to protect your neck you need a helmet to go with the neck brace and a pressure suit that is neck brace compatible (most are these days).

I have no problem wearing a helmet long as its fits the bike. Which is why I was looking at the old vintage leather helmets they aren't soft helmets like in days of old but they are approved though.

Like this for example.

https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Moto...o3Ofyb9PV5w&slotNum=0&tag=baheasyazonlinks-20

Its just for me the goggles are always cheap junk and cant really find any good ones for under $100.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I have no problem wearing a helmet long as its fits the bike. Which is why I was looking at the old vintage leather helmets they aren't soft helmets like in days of old but they are approved though.

Like this for example.

https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Moto...o3Ofyb9PV5w&slotNum=0&tag=baheasyazonlinks-20

Its just for me the goggles are always cheap junk and cant really find any good ones for under $100.
Okay cool as long as you do wear a damn helmet. :)
And gloves. Always good to have some skin still on your palms at the end of the day! :)
I'm sure glasses are more practical and comfy than any goggles anyway, if they fit okay in the helmet. :)

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
And gloves. Always good to have some skin still on your palms at the end of the day! :)
I'm sure glasses are more practical and comfy than any goggles anyway, if they fit okay in the helmet. :)

That's how those goggles would remain is on the helmet unless they were good quality goggles then I might wear them. Otherwise I think I will just wear my tinted eyeglasses as they still provide eye protection.

Only thing is some people claim those helmets are real flimsy and wont provide any protection. But one guy did comment that they would be fine for scooters and motor bicycles as they aren't exactly going as fast as a motorcycle would be.

They have some leather fingerless gloves that I was looking at but not sure how often I would wear them considering how hot it gets here in the summer.

Its a big reason why I am building it during the summer with the hopes of it being finished for riding in the fall when it starts to cool down. Thankfully it doesn't start to cool down till after August as for us August is the hottest month of summer for us.

Another thing is I need to verify that helmet will even fit me. I want to say my old ROTC hat that I have put up somewhere is a 7 5/8 or 7 3/4 size.

I personally think you'll be fine with the bicycle gear. I probably go faster down hills on my pedal bikes than the top speed of 99% of the bikes on here. Just try not to land on your face.

The main thing is that you are comfortable enough in it to actually wear it.
I'm limited to bicycle stuff myself for legal purposes / stealth! I won't even wear a full face helmet on normal rides so I hope it's enough. I will be on traffic free cycle paths most of the time anyway but to me a helmet, gloves and wrap around glasses/shades are the minimum even for that.

Often the only way to keep your face off the gravel (and the natural instinct) is to put your hands down..
I think fingerless gloves are okay since you have to draw the line somewhere, and the weight goes on your palms when you fall. The scars (from cycling) on my hands are on the palms.
If you can get some with a mesh back so you'll actually wear them that would be great. :)

I personally think you'll be fine with the bicycle gear. I probably go faster down hills on my pedal bikes than the top speed of 99% of the bikes on here. Just try not to land on your face.

The main thing is that you are comfortable enough in it to actually wear it.
I'm limited to bicycle stuff myself for legal purposes / stealth! I won't even wear a full face helmet on normal rides so I hope it's enough. I will be on traffic free cycle paths most of the time anyway but to me a helmet, gloves and wrap around glasses/shades are the minimum even for that.

Often the only way to keep your face off the gravel (and the natural instinct) is to put your hands down..
I think fingerless gloves are okay since you have to draw the line somewhere, and the weight goes on your palms when you fall. The scars (from cycling) on my hands are on the palms.
If you can get some with a mesh back so you'll actually wear them that would be great. :)

Yep that's the thing. I grabbed my hat how ever a boonie and its a 7 3/4 hat size which means that helmet I linked wont fit as 7 3/4 hat size is roughly 24 1/4" which the helmet I linked is 22 to 22.8" so it would be way too small for me. Real shame as I am looking for a helmet like that if I do wear one. I don't want a motorcycle style helmet as it would draw way too much attention. Plus this is a vintage/retro build I am doing for the purpose of making it look teens to early forties. But its something I will have to look more into. Shouldn't jump the gun since I don't even have this build at bicycle stage yet even.

im switching to leathers and a full face helmet my mechanix type gloves wore 2 holes in them as my arm was traped under me on a face plant knocking me out if your really serious about safety wear a full face helmet and leather gloves as far as goggles i wear safety glasses its a no brainer

This is also a nice option when other goggles might look a bit nerdy in certain situations. :) Not air tight.

Pyramex Safety
  • Designed to better fit today's prescription eye wear.
  • Lightweight nylon temples adjust for length and pitch.
  • Single lens encapsulates the eye for superb protection.
  • Scratch resistant polycarbonate lens provides 99% UVA/B/C protection.
  • Fits over frames up to 5 3/8" W x 1 3/4" H | 137mm x 44mm
http://www.pyramexsafety.com/products/eye-protection/S3520SJ

S3520SJ

Last edited:
Here's retro helmet. I don't know about goggle, sorry.
517QZjl3oiL._AC_US200_.jpg

Amazon sells various half-helmets like that and they get decent reviews for a cheap, DOT compliant helmet.

Back