SailorBiker says howdy.

S

SailorBiker

Hello all.I live in the commiewealth of pennsylvania and my name is Greg.
I just bought an "80"cc chinese kit from ebay and am going to see if I can bodge it together to a 20in folding bike.Failing that I'll wack it into a mountain frame and try to be happy about it.
I'm an avid motorcyclist and this is just one more new manifistation of the disease.This is a wonderful site and I hope I can contrbute.
Cheers
:cool:

Welcome Greg from the left coast.
A folder huh? Now that'll be a sight. Are you thinking a rack type rear wheel mount or something else?
Good Luck, can't wait

Thanks for the wecome.
I've been reading the site for a couple of ideas.I already ordered the bike and motor before discovering this web site.I may going down the wrong road........
The reason for a folding bike is to meet certain engineering criteria.I want to be able to carry motor transport on a small sailboat and it must fit below decks or in a locker.I would rig the motor to be removed for storage.
So what I need...Storable motor transport.
Able to move my 220 pound ass at 30mph.
Able to be placed in a dingy and then landed ashore.
Not a friction drive unit.
Not electric drive.I need range and power.
Able to mount a basket for groceries and ice runs.
Reasonably able to be pedaled in event of engine
failure.
Oh and the fly in the ointment less than $500.00 for the whole package.
Right now I'm at $300.00 for a folding bike,chinese engine,plus shipping.
From what I've seen here there are better ways to do it.The island hoppers look interesting but I don' think the motors are large enough to do what I want and again ........friction drive around damp environments.
I'm open to ideas.I think what I really would like is a foldable version of an old puch or honda moped.
Cheers

well, this promises to be one of the more interesting projects for sure... :)

hiya, SailorBiker, welcome to MBc 8)

I think you are thinking what I'm thinking. The front motor mount lands on the folding point and stays out of the way. It can be done, and find one of the fuel tanks that is part of A rear rack, and you have it. Have fun, Dave

2014_PICT0295_1.jpg

Welcome to MBc, SailorBiker! 8) Very good intro, by the way :D
Nice job with the info (basic, without starting a whole discussion here) and pic, Egor
Happy :mrgreen:

Egor, Ya pegged it mate! That is the folding type frame that I ordered.$89.00 from rvtoyoutlet.com.I'm not really interested in the folding part until I break it all down and secure for sea.
It looks as though I'm going to have trouble with the rear drive sprocket vs the 20 inch wheel.The sproket in the kit is described as a 50 tooth so even if I get it to fit I will need to go to fewer to teeth for top end.
On the bike that you have does the peddle crank clear the motor?.
If this does not work I'm thinking about a chain drive rear mount motor combo from GEBE.Anyone with experience with that rig? I'd like more than 49cc but if I'm stuck with that size I want a 2 stroke for the extra power it can make.
wow thanks for posting the pic it makes feel as if there is hope! :D
SB

Its sounding like egor's your Go-To guy on the folding bike part of your future build, greg 8) .
Speaking of which, might i suggest a 'project thread'...a single thread devoted solely for your bike, from start to finish. see example here: http://www.motoredbikes.com/viewtopic.php?t=1547
this way, all you have to do is pick a name for your project, and all Q n A will be in one place for you. How cool is that? :D
Happy :mrgreen:

Back