SBP Expansion Chamber Questions

lordoflightaz

Local time
9:51 AM
I suppose I could email SBP but I thought: Why not start a thread about this thing.

I bought one! Now what do I do with it?

My bikes have center kickstands, and I like them. So routing the expansion chamber is a puzzle, or pretzel if you will. I have included photos of my mocked up install. It fits perfect. and I will attach mounting bracket on down tube and rear tire strut.

I added another 45 degree elbow so the pipe wraps around the tube. I know I will need to add another silicon coupler. I know that I have to move the chamber in toward the bike more but that is when I have the mounting bracket built

Bike is RAWUSA 49cc with SBP shift kit high performance spark plug wire, (bike hit 25 MPH as pictured in second without porting anything)

The questions about this:
So how much should I compensate for the elbow and where should I adjust?
Should I make it at the chrome end near the chamber?
Should I shorten the straight pipe.
Should I shorten both?
Should I send it back? NO WAY. 'course Pablo and Ghost0 are thinking why did we let him order this

Note: I'm asking this is before any adjustments are made so it runs better in higher gears.

Attachments

• expansion left ac .jpg
    expansion left ac .jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 780
  • expansion front ac.jpg
    expansion front ac.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 569
  • expansion right ac.jpg
    expansion right ac.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 559
As long as you remove the same amount of pipe as you added you should be fine. I dig your creativity in mounting. You will lose a slight bit of performance due to you increasing the bending just past the exhaust header but it won't be much.

If it were me I would remove the extra pipe at the joint where the silicone coupler is. You should then be able to still fine tune at the header.

I guess the question is how much did I add? The elbow slides into the other elbow and the curved pipe. Would it be like a 1/4 inch?

I can think of a way to measure the change in volume but not length, at least of the top of my head, by filling the the 2 pieces with water, pour it into a beaker and measure, add the elbow add water and measure again.

Design is easy, execution the hard part

The easiest way to measure is to use a piece of string. Run it along the center of the pipe to get the most accurate measurement. Start at the header flange and measure to the start of the expansion chamber. 13 inches would be a good start and you can shorten from there. Length is more critical than volume.

The volume was how I was going to figure length but mind went numb trying to consider conversion. Now I will be working in "String Theory".

Working with a 13" length as a maximum helps. If, I take too much out I will be in the middle of the down tube probably a bad idea, LOL.

Need to relocate the CDI in any event so I may end up within the diamond for the pipe.

Thank god I don't need to be a rocket scientist.

Like I said I would remove the length initially at the end of the chrome pipe as it enters the silicone coupler just prior to the expansion chamber. This should still leave you some adjustment with the copper tube at the header.

Got it down to 13 and am leaving it there for the moment. Took 1/2 inch from each end. WOT still bogs but just short of WOT call it SOWOT is pretty intense. I scare myself.

Added benefit of this design I will never have to oil my chain again, LOL.

Attachments

• bluebikeright1c.jpg
    bluebikeright1c.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 645
I would bet money it is running rich which is why it bogs a bit at WOT. I had to lean the crud out of mine. I am running a .6mm jet, stock is .7mm.

Hey Ghost- Did you make your own jet for the tuning or are we able to find/use existing jets for the stock carb??

I am considering using a Dellorto Moped Carb for this reason..

You can go either way, I just soldered and drilled mine but I know Dellorto makes a replacement jet. I just find it easier to solder and drill until I get it right than ordering 5 jets and end up just using the right one and have wasted money on the other 4.

Back