SBP Expansion Exahust VS. Skyhawk Expansion Exhaust

Molotov256

Local time
11:52 PM
I'm thinking seriously about adding an expansion chamber exhaust on one of my bikes, and I've read a lot about the sick bike parts tuned pipe:

Sick Bike Parts Tuned Pipe

Spooky Tooth also sells an expansion exhaust here which appears to be manufactured by skyhawk:

Spooky Tooth/Skyhawk Pipe

I've heard nothing but good reviews about the SBP one, but was curious about the one Spooky Tooth sells because it's cheaper and looks a lot easier to install. Does anybody have any experience with the Spooky Tooth one?

Either would be a big upgrade. I like the sick bike parts because it exits way in the back, but it is very close with my pedals/rear wheel. I actually plan on getting it welded up and fabbing a better mount.

Looks as though spooky may be back in stock, because I just ordered one and the order was confirmed. I was already ordering a new head gasket and 66cc carb from them, so I figured my shipping savings was worth giving this thing a go. I'll post some non-scientific opinions on the performance upgrade when I get it installed.

Skyhawk Expansion Chamber

I ordered the Skyhawk Expansion Exhaust from Spooky Tooth Cycles, and got the bike up and running with it today. It's at least twice as loud, but I recently saw a guy wearing a t-shirt that said "loud pipes save lives", and after riding around on a motored bike with a fairly quiet pipe, I follow that logic.

This expansion exhaust was SUPER easy to put on - exactly the same as the standard pipe. There was no need for any supports or hangars. Just bolt it on and go.

The pipe is a substantially fatter and is shaped kind of like a banana with a teardrop profile, so if you have pedal clearance issues, it may not work for you. I installed this one on a beach cruiser frame with a single piece pedal crank, so I had plenty of room to work with. I still find myself hitting the toe of my shoe on it if I'm not careful, though, which makes me wonder if it would fit on a road bike or mountain bike. I suppose it all depends on the height at which your engine sits in relation to the pedals.

The quality of the workmanship looks a bit questionable, but doesn't seem to affect performance. There is a noticeable weld which runs on the top and bottom of the pipe, and there's a lot of weld material built up around the neck of the pipe where it is attached to the mounting flange. I considered grinding some of it off, but the nuts seem to hold it on straight enough.

As of now, I've got maybe 25 miles on the pipe, but I'm pretty impressed. Like I said, it's louder, but it definitely helps pull my "80cc" engine through the low to mid RPMs that it struggled with before. I'm running a 32T sprocket on a 26" wheel, and it's accelerating up hills better than it did before. Overall, I'd say it's $50 well spent.

Hit spookytoothcycles.com and grab one for yourself if you're interested.

Anybody got an inside scoop on the SBP exhaust?

I've got each pipe on 2 of my shifter bikes.

The hands-down winner is SBP tuned pipe for the following reasons:

1. Adjustable power band.
2. Quieter at idle and under power
3. My engine actually "comes on the pipe" with SBP shifter but with the other tuned pipe, it just seems louder
4. While it takes longer to install, it has more flexibility with routing the exhaust.

what other mods do you guys have? or is the exhaust all you need to see some real power gains

I have a slant high compression head that added a considerable amount of power before I put tuned pipes on my bikes.

I have a SBP expansion chamber and it is great found though that it reached top speed a bit quick so insted of getting a custom sprocket made for my bike I put on a billet high compression head from rocksolidengines.com and that made the biggest difference my bike now revvs around 1000-1500 rpm higher I also have a custom air filter bigger jets in the carby mild port and polish and matched ports, and ive been looking for a barrel off a jap dirt bike so I can get a bigger piston in there theres no replacement for displacement. and mabey run on rc nitro fuel in the future?

+1 for the SBP exhaust. It's ability to mount is various ways is what initially sold it for me but I have been reaping the benefits ever since. Sounds like jlebh1 and I have similar engine setup as I also run the RSE billet head and a velocity stack filter and have upped my jet size to 1.2mm.

As for your question about the power gains. The expansion chamber was the very first "mod" I did on my engine and I noticed gains straight away.

Back