Jackshaft SBP Shift Kit

Also, on the jacksaft..... I adjusted mine to ensure there is just a tiny bit of side-to-side motion on the shaft, only a millimeter or so. If the two side frame pieces are squeezing the bearings, they will wear severely within a few hundred miles. With just the smallest bit of side-to-side play, wear upon the bearings shoulde be next to nothing.

And ensure the sprocket teeth line up nearly perfectly, else you will be throwing chains off. It happened to me!

Last edited:
Anyone considering buying a shift-kit - do it, you won't regret it. Best thing for these bikes since sliced bread.

I've done a little over 200km with mine now and had no problems whatsoever. The kit was even better quality than I expected and came well packaged, with very comprehensive instructions downloadable from the 'Sick Bike Parts' website.

Personally, I bought the heavy-duty version of the kit, as recommended by many owners, especially since I'm running a high-compression 'Rock Solid Engines' billet head.
I fitted a set of Shimano MegaRange SuperLow gears with a grip-shift on the LHS, then threw the stock brake levers in the bin and fitted a SBP dual-pull brake lever on the right-hand side to free up my left hand a bit.

This bike is such a pleasure to ride now, I could never go back to a single-speed MB.
My little engine has never been happier - I can easily cruise at 35mph, (or faster), in 6th gear with the engine just ticking over, or dawdle along at 5mph in 1st. No more revving the s&@t out of it to do 30mph.

Before buying a kit, it's worth reading the PDFs on the SBP site to ensure that the kit will suit your bike.
Also, SBP have a range of tools to help with the conversion. Check your bike and see which of those you might need, to save having to order twice, (as I did).
Their freewheel oil is well worth buying when you buy the kit, too. It's very sticky and stays in place much better than other oils, without making a mess. It pays to apply heaps of freewheel oil during assembly, while the freewheel is still on the bench.

These kits cost a few $$$, but they're more than worth it.
They sell out regularly, though, so if you want one and they're in stock, be quick.

(There are some pics of the shift-kit drive-train in the 'My Rides' album on my profile page.)

Last edited:
Just wondering how the more experienced guys feel about this shift kit?

I have watched some vids on Youtube on them and they seem to perform well, but I would like some input on this. Also, being new to this I am not sure but with the twist throttle, I'll be stuck with either a thumb shifter on that side for the rear or just using my mid gear sprocket in the front and a twist shift on the left bar for the rear when I'm peddling. Am I correct on this?

I placed my order yesterday at dax, I'm excited for this thing to arrive, though I know i'm probably a week or more away from it, I've started fixing up my mountain bike, she needs new cables, housings, brakes, mirror, lights front and back, a new seat, apparently my butt has gotten bigger over the years...I rode it for 10 min yesterday and I'll tell ya I won't be doing that again...It's an exit only. But I am very excited about this endeavor, however the better half thinks I am just a big kid.......YEAH BUDDY!

Anyway...I hijacked my own post LOL...SBP shift kits, yea or neigh?

Hi just read your post on the shift kit . I just have brought a sick bike parts shift kit . To anserw your question as to weather they are good or not .Absolute madness to ride with when you get it fitted id sudjest getting a heavy duty bearing as my standard one seized with in the process of building it all though with a quick email jim from sick bike parts was very happy to replace the bearing for free he even gave me a heavy duty one as it was unexpected to happen at such an early stage . I have fitted it know and rode it for the first time on the weekend great fun i think we covered about 100 ks over the long weekend riding around hassel free . allthough take some tips and bag a small tool kit on your travells 13mm and 14 mm /11mm spanners as you might have to readjust the chain tension as they do slip loose .Get back to us if you want id be interested to know how you went with you shift kit getting it together can prove to be testing on the patience level but its sure worth the wait . let us know how you go cheers

TheMotheMan said:
I placed my order yesterday at dax........................Anyway...I hijacked my own post LOL...SBP shift kits, yea or neigh?

First up, TheMotheMan, unless I've been misinformed, the shift kit from ThatsDax is NOT a Sick Bike Parts shift-kit, it's a cheap knock-off, ripped off from the SBP design. I purposely bought mine from Sick Bike Parts, knowing this.

G Man, I had to adjust my RHS chain about 3 times, too, but then it settled down and hasn't needed adjusting since. I think that initially, the engine moves very slightly to the right until it settles, causing the chain to loosen a little.
Regarding the freewheel, (against Jim and Paul's recommendations), I kick-start my bike by pedalling on the centre-stand, so I bought the heavy duty version with this in mind. Also, since that's not really recommended, I bought a spare HD freewheel, just in case.

Last edited:
I've been beating my chest as to what an excellent kit the SickBikeParts shift kit is and advocating the Deluxe Shift Kit option that contains lots of useful accessories.
6,000 kilometers on it now and the heavy duty freewheel bearing is still running perfectly.

I'm also on the record for saying that a single speed system is a complete waste of time, after trying it and throwing the single speed components in the bin.

Fabian

Will this kit work on stingray? If not is there a kit for a stingray? Lastly is this worth it if it is a single speed? Sorry for all the questions.:rolleyes:

Back