Jackshaft SBP Shift Kit

If you can get a HT in the Stingray, the kit may work. But most stingrays are pretty tight.

No sense on a single speed, unless you are adding a gear hub later.

I am very happy with my shift kit. I have the 4 stroke kit mounted onto a Felt frame and it works perfect. You definitely have to have some mechanical know how and study the installation guide carefully. There is also much patience involved when setting up chain alignment and tension. As the instructions specify, you need to pedal the bike around first to settle the parts in and allow for some chain stretch. Re-tighten.. re-tighten.. re-tighten. Once the initial chain stretch and alignment is all worked out, you will be a happy camper. I use the Sturmey Archer 3 speed and works great. Thank you SBP!!

If you think a shift kit is the best thing since sliced bread (which it is) just wait till you do the Tetra Chain Wheel modification, giving your pushbike enough pulling power to haul a Ford F350 out of a mud pit - the kind of modification that separates the men from the boys!!!

Fabian,
Interestingly enough. I went to the SBP website and there is no parts listed for a Tetra Chain ink but I found it on a Google search and watched the video. Looks like a great idea but where's the info? I wonder if it's either too new or SBP has already discontinued them??

Shift kit is great but not trouble free. The inventors stopped short in their innovation by failing to take the extra final step to create a worry free product.

You'll love your shift kit but hate it whenever the drive chain stretches and requires an adjustment. You can buy the most expensive bike chain but it'll stretch too and require multiple adjustments early on and then a chain adjustment every 2-3 hours of riding. If you ride on long rides like I do (7-8 hour day long rides on forest service roads through the mountains), you'll find yourself carrying a small assortment of tools and stopping every 2-3 hours to tighten your drive chain because the shift kit does NOT come with a spring loaded chain tensioner.

Here's what I don't understand. SBP has incrementally improved their product. Their first generation shift kit had thin side plates that flexed. Their second generation kit had thicker side plates with reinforcements. They also came out with a simple method to increase chain tension, their 3rd generation kit had an entirely new design which was better in many ways. Upgraded freewheel hubs also made their kit almost bulletproof.

SBP, why have you stalled in the improvement department and continually ignore customer requests to develop (or use exisiting designs, aka Fabian) a chain tensioner to take your design to the next LEVEL?

Thank you,
Drew- a loyal but frustrated customer. Gotta go, went on a 3 hour ride this afternoon and need to tighten the slack out of my chain.

We haven't stalled, we just don't see it as a necessity. Maybe a nice to have or convenience but when 90% of the MB population is living paycheck to paycheck we would rather get something that is good quality and may take 5 minutes of maintenance every few hours of use rather than making something so expensive no one could afford it. There is a drawback to having something too good in that one becomes complacent if there is never anything to maintain and will begin to ignore the other basic maintenance items required on bicycles like tires pressure, brakes, chain lubrication and nuts and bolts in general. We will revisit this as maybe an aftermarket part or option.

As far as the tetra chain wheel, we (SBP) has nothing to do with that. I know Fabian and I have had many email exchanges on the merits of front derailleurs and multiple front chainrings. I still say that for most peoples application they are more hassle than they are worth. Now please understand that what Fabian does is outside the norm for most of us, he hauls stuff around that would make my little China girl cringe which is why he needs a larger range of gears but for most people there just isn't an advantage to using a front derailleur.

Back