SBP Throttle Assembly

Talis

Local time
6:30 AM
On top of all of my previous problems, the stock throttle handle broke. Is the SBP one any better?

Yes I find it to be better with the exception that the kill switch is not integrated, you'll need a separate switch for it. I found that the stock grip slips off that handle a bit easily and kinda spins on it too, I fixed it by using some fine sandpaper by 3m that has a grippy backing to it so your hand doesn't slip while using the paper, basically I took a long strip of it and folded it over the end of the throttle (sand side in) and then pushed the grip over that.

The cable it comes with sometimes fits perfectly on a carb but most stock cables that fit the stock cable seem to be a bit short, when I put my Cns carb on the bike the cable was too short for the throttle and couldn't be fed in unless the carb was left with the throttle open. I fixed that by very very carefully removing part of the cable shield by zipping through it with a thin cut off wheel on my dremel. Just cut through the steel layer up to the nylon lining and cut the lining with a box cutter type blade since that won't easily damage the cable.

I take it you bought the 47 in. cable? Also how long have you had it?

I take it you bought the 47 in. cable? Also how long have you had it?
It's not the overall length that matters unless you have ape hangers or just really have some distance between the engine and handlebars. The issue is the slack they put in the cable, as in the distance it can be slid through the housing before hitting the knob on either end. When that slack is too little the cable can't be installed completely on one end because it ends up too short to reach what you are putting it in.

In my throttle if I put the cable in at the handle bar and went to put the other end on the carb I would have about half the throttle open at the carb even though the handlebar is all the way forward in the resting position. To fix it I had to take some of the housing off because even with both barrel adjusters screwed in as far as possible there was no way to install the cable with the throttle shut.

Then I've had the situation where the cable is too long, and it was impossible to remove the excess slack unless I installed a longer 'noodle' as it's called on the throttle or carb to take the slack up.

Ok then I'll go ahead and order the 47 in cable because the stock one in my case was 50 in and that was just a tad too long

Yes I find it to be better with the exception that the kill switch is not integrated, you'll need a separate switch for it. I found that the stock grip slips off that handle a bit easily and kinda spins on it too, I fixed it by using some fine sandpaper by 3m that has a grippy backing to it so your hand doesn't slip while using the paper, basically I took a long strip of it and folded it over the end of the throttle (sand side in) and then pushed the grip over that.

The cable it comes with sometimes fits perfectly on a carb but most stock cables that fit the stock cable seem to be a bit short, when I put my Cns carb on the bike the cable was too short for the throttle and couldn't be fed in unless the carb was left with the throttle open. I fixed that by very very carefully removing part of the cable shield by zipping through it with a thin cut off wheel on my dremel. Just cut through the steel layer up to the nylon lining and cut the lining with a box cutter type blade since that won't easily damage the cable.
I'll see your two varys and raise you one. I thought for sure I was gona screw it up, but it worked.

Well I found the SBP throttle assembly for half the price and it has decent reviews. Some complain about the pulley being stiff and I can see that the tube is plastic again. Is the plastic tube just going to break after 5 months like the stock one?

Also I found replacement tubes that match the one of the stock assembly for $7. The only problem I had with this assembly was the tube broke so I don't really feel like getting a whole new cable and assembly just to have the same thing happen. I think I'm just going to buy 3 new tubes and replace them like an oil change. A small expense every couple of months when they break. :)

Back