School Me On: Tensioners

FrizzleFried

Local time
2:18 PM
Question...

Why do we use tensioners on our "drive" side ... when we could, instead, use a tensioner on the "pedal" side allowing the drive side to run direct sans tensioner (or maybe with a spring tensioner at most)?

Logic would dictate that as long as you set up said tensioner for the bottom portion of the pedal chain... keeping the direct tension from pedaling off the tensioner... it would work fine...

The logical result would be a much smoother motored ride sans tensioner... no?

EDIT: I could see where there COULD be a spacing issue with the chainstay requiring the tensioner to redirect slightly... hmmm... will have to look in to this.

Question...

Why do we use tensioners on our "drive" side ... when we could, instead, use a tensioner on the "pedal" side allowing the drive side to run direct sans tensioner (or maybe with a spring tensioner at most)?

Logic would dictate that as long as you set up said tensioner for the bottom portion of the pedal chain... keeping the direct tension from pedaling off the tensioner... it would work fine...

The logical result would be a much smoother motored ride sans tensioner... no?

EDIT: I could see where there COULD be a spacing issue with the chainstay requiring the tensioner to redirect slightly... hmmm... will have to look in to this.
I don't use tensioners at all...I just cut both chains to exact fit size and run my bike...Smooth as silk...lol.

Not a fan of half-links...but if I do them, they'll be on the pedal chain side. I figured I would start with a tensioner on the pedal side (if needed) and then if I don't much care for it... go with the half-link.

I plan on getting out there and getting my chains both cut/set up today. I 'might' be rolling my Phantom 85 dice tonight after work...

Not a fan of half-links...but if I do them, they'll be on the pedal chain side.
I have NO half links on either side...It was quite easy to do.

DSCN0229.JPG

Welp... I have two brand new chains. One for the drive side and one for the pedal side. I do plan on getting as close to what you have there as possible WITHOUT the tensioner. If I can make that happen... Woo hoo... If I need a little help... the tensioner will go on the pedal side.

:)

Here is how she currently sits...

PHAN_SOON1.jpg

Here is how she currently sits...
Make sure that when you "size" the chains, that you do not have the wheel all the way back on the drop outs...You want to be able to reserve some space for when the chains "stretch" a little, That way all you will need to do is simply loosen the axle nuts and push the wheel back a little in order to take up the slack when that happens.

Ps...What did you finally use as frame to caliper adapters for your disk brakes???

Still using the Bike Berry aluminum up front and the same I showed for back but I've done more modification. I will likely have to do some final modification when I find my ultimate spot for the rim...

I'm going to make sure the aluminum piece runs up flush against the vertical back spot that is somewhat unique to these Hyper bikes.

Back