Schwinn Build II (straight bar)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cant afford a Whizzer at this point in life (wish i could). My bike is a 2005 (I think) repo of the Schwinn Typhoon cruiser.
At this point I have about $200 into it as it is (free bike, $100 ebay motor kit, & $100 for the Bontrager Hank tires. have had it going for ~3 years but am working on getting parts and ideas ready to rebuild it. The issue is all the local powder coaters here are small 1-3 person operations and mostly do wheels so I'd have to strip my frame before hand.

But anyway keep up your build.
Oh how do springer/ bent springers hold up on a MB? I've been warned they are weak but see many mb builds with them.

I wanted to save some money on this build so I went with a heavy duty set of rims from Huskey Bicycles on the web. On my last build I probably spent close to $600 on the S-2 rims on that bike and could have easily spent more. S-2 rims, spokes, powder coating, tires, tubes, original Schwinn drum brake, axle, cones, clevis, barrel adjuster and more. Plus the hours of spoking, truing, adjusting and so on.
Rear rim is heavy duty shimano coaster brake and front drum brake hub is Sturmey-Archer X-FD. Sturmey Archer is a English company that's been around probably as long as Schwinn, however I suspect their parts are now made in Taiwan too!. The front hub has a cassette bearing that's supposed to be good for motorized bikes. I have not tried out either yet, but from previous testing I can tell you that a rear coaster brake alone is not enough! $192 for both rims and heavy duty tubes.
If I'm not happy with these rims I will add them with my reproduction monark forks and a few other Taiwanese parts and call it a Cruzzer! lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20140613_174436.jpg
    IMG_20140613_174436.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_20140613_174451.jpg
    IMG_20140613_174451.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 280
Thanks JB, I'm aware of Memory Lanes wheel building services, however I wanted to try these rims. This is good info for people looking for a more authentic Whizzer/Schwinn rim. Memory lane offers a variety of rims and hubs and spokes that a person can order to their liking and have built to their specs.

A few problems slowed down my progress and I had to stop assemble early this morning. The wrapping of the frame worked great and was able to mount the motor without scratching anything. I have afew changes to make and some parts on the way so I decided to stop now . Here are a few pics in the daylight.

Attachments

• IMG_20140615_094128.jpg
    IMG_20140615_094128.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_20140615_094149.jpg
    IMG_20140615_094149.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_20140615_094402.jpg
    IMG_20140615_094402.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 271
Picked up my Chainguard from the pinstriper today and I'm very pleased with this. I'm not sure if this looked that good when it was brand new! Some people may call this over restored. I say it's perfect. I get excited when something turns out this nice because I can be very picky. Decal is not affixed yet as this is not the one I will be using.
The bike is turning out so nice I decided the old messinger seat had to go. Even though I've blown up the budget on this bike I went for a less expensive seat. The seat seems smaller in the pic than it is, but after I checked the dimensions it's actually larger than the seat on my Phantom. I got this seat on eBay from luxlowbikes for a bargain price of $48 plus shipping. That's less than 1/4 the cost of the Phantom seat. Who Knows? this could end up in the pile for a better leather seat later.
I have more parts coming today from memory lane, ebay, and Fred White. Can't wait!IMG_20140620_105302.jpg$_57 (4).jpg

Got my delivery from Memory Lane on Friday which included a nice new set of WZ fenders. I had a cheap set of fenders I was planning on using on this project but as things progressed and the bike started taking shape, they just wouldn't due. I also needed a different fender for the Schwinn springer.
When I purchased this frame off of eBay I had 2 reasons for doing so, #1 was I wanted to do a straight bar frame project and #2 is it had a locking steer tube I used on my Phantom. It turned out to be a really good buy at the time plus I was able to check out how other parts from the Phantom project would fit on this frame. I rushed the fenders right to powder coater Fri. when I got them. I know they will fit this frame just fine because I took a pic back then.

IMG_20140104_221508.jpg

I also sent this vintage rack to powder coat. I got this from a 87 year old bike mechanic I know who says he got it in 1951 when he bought out a old bike shop here in town. He's used that story on me several times before when I bought parts from him so I don't know how accurate his memory is? I've only come across one other of these and don't know the maker? I'm pretty sure it's vintage and it's a pretty large one. Will be coming back black!

Last pics are of the new rear fender reflector that I got. I think this will look really nice on a black fender. These are really huge and don't know if it's worth painting the rear fender design as this will cover up most of it. More later!

Attachments

• IMG_20140104_165912.jpg
    IMG_20140104_165912.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 247
  • $_12 (4).JPG
    $_12 (4).JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 264
  • refl55c2.jpg
    refl55c2.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 245
Status
Not open for further replies.