Schwinn Jaguar build

Hi all, Sold my 81 Schwinn beach cruiser with M-X5 engine, it ran good but parts just weren't there for it. Plus I wanted to build one of these bikes for a while. So here's my new Jag. Just fired it up yesterday, started first try but died while I was trying to adjust idle (my fault turned screw wrong way) so I adjusted it a few turns the other way and started it again. Started right up again first try and idle's great! I'm so pleased with the easy starting because the M-X5 was a real work out trying to start. Anyways I'm happy with my new bike.

Attachments

• 100_0579.jpg
    100_0579.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 6,011
  • 100_0582.jpg
    100_0582.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 1,635
  • 100_0583.jpg
    100_0583.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 1,458
  • 100_0584.jpg
    100_0584.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 1,144
I put together a jag yesterday and I'm riding it around today. This is my second jag, the first one I decided to ride at midnight before I motorized it and the rear sprocket broke before I rode 100 ft. I'm hoping for better luck on this one.:giggle:

Was your first Jag a new bike? I got mine at Target and they have a 90 day return policy, and Schwinn has a one year guarantee on all parts and a life time guarantee on the frame. Have any pic's of yours?

NO JAGUARS IN Oz

Hey Crackers..This is a really nice shaped ride..I wish Schwinn had an outlet in Australia because I WANT ONE..Im 58, my son has a Schwinn Chopper 80cc and I need something that suits my frame so I can ride with him. It definitely looks sleek and well proportioned for an old bloke like me..Ill have to research and see if there is an outlet in Oz..or ? import..?$$.. The name sure does suit the visuals...Love it..ENO

Thanks for the photos. I'm considering doing a Jag. I looked at them at Target last night. Was it an easy build ? What kind of customizating did you have to do for the engine mounts ? Looks like on the front you drilled through the frame and used the standard bracket that comes with most kits. I noticed what you did with the gear shift. I have a Schwinn Suburban and I personally don't like the twist shifts. I'm going to swap out for rapid fire shifters. I like them better and they're a smaller profile. More close up detailed photos would be greatly appreciated if possible.
Thanks !

..... PC .....

I found it good. Very decent bike. Its really appealing to eyes. Good job!! Keep it up!!

azBill checked out your Jag while I was building mine (nice ride) you have added a lot of cool upgrades. I've tried to zip tie my spokes but can't get the ties tight enough to make a differance, do they have to be tight tight, thats what I was going for?
Thanks ENO, hope you can find one in OZ, I'm an old bloke my self and I like the 7 speeds my old Schwinn didn't have but one.
PC here's some pic's of the build. My kit didn't come with a three hole adaptor so I made mine out of 1" steel flat stock. As you can see from the pic's I changed the mount to two bars instead of the one because I was afraid the block might crack from vibrations where the washers came in contac with it (just removed three washers the width of the flat stock, to keep same level).
Thanks, pooja

Attachments

• 100_0547.jpg
    100_0547.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 717
  • 100_0552.jpg
    100_0552.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 714
  • 100_0558.jpg
    100_0558.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 805
  • 100_0561.jpg
    100_0561.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 781
  • 100_0567.jpg
    100_0567.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 784
I went to target and swapped for another bike. My lucks still bad because The engine seized yesterday due to large end connecting rod bushing failure. The way I've mounted engines on several bikes is to drill 4 holes in a plate, bolt the plate to the motor and use a u-bolt to go around the frame and thru the plate. On a jag you have to space the bottom, I used a piece of 1 1/2 tubing that was notched on one end and flat on the other. Today on a beautiful day I have to drive a car.........:cry:

Thanks for the photos ! I went to another local target and looked at the Jag again. I want to buy one in the box. I was told Schwinn employees came into the Target stores and assembled the bikes and put them on display. Man, if that's ture, I'd hate to see their worst builds. Those bikes are so crappily put together. Things like brake pads riding on the tires, not the rims. Somepoor sole that doesn't know anything about bicycles just might get killed on one of those crappy things. Anyway, I was told they will not sell me one in the box. I told them fine, I'd get one somewhere else, because I'd basicaly have to completely rebuild the bike anyway beacuse they weren't put together properly. And I want big white wall tires too. I noticed in your photos that you have them. Did it come that way or did you swap them out ? I'm also planning to take 2 plates, sandwich them around the bottom tube with 2 "U" bolts for the bottom mount. But on the other hand I still haven't totaly decided if I'm going to do a frame mount or a friction drive. I have the Grubee 50 in hand but it's not really appropriate for my Surbuban. So, if I use the Grubee, I'm going to buy another bike. On the other hand, I have another brand new engine on hand that will work with the friction kit and it will work on the Suburban just fine. Decisions, decisions !

Back