Schwinn Spoiler + Morini + Manic Mechanic parts = FUN!

Local time
5:57 AM
This Morini powered Schwinn Spoiler was built for forum member "Gene" at the Manic Mechanic machine shop...:D

I spent a lot of time looking at different ways to attach everything without cobbling up the original bike.

There were a lot of hurdles to overcome in order to pull it off. It is not easy to motorize what was not meant to be motorized and create a finished product that is reliable, safe, and appears "production".

The drive set-up solves two problems:

1) Chain alignment from the engine to the rear wheel.

2) How to retain the original rear disc brake and arrive at a final drive ratio that is not too tall.

The engine mounts needed to be placed so that the engine would sit in the frame naturally yet still provide the neccessary unitization that makes the engine "one with the frame", and not a hap-hazard mounted stress monster that promotes future frame cracks.

The tuned pipe: how to route it, how to make it fit the bike, (look good), how to retain the dimensional data provided by Morini, was also a bit of work.

Here are some pics...

Jim

Attachments

• DSCI0697.jpg
    DSCI0697.jpg
    591.8 KB · Views: 2,312
  • DSCI0698.jpg
    DSCI0698.jpg
    608 KB · Views: 2,701
  • DSCI0690.jpg
    DSCI0690.jpg
    623.5 KB · Views: 1,130
  • DSCI0689.jpg
    DSCI0689.jpg
    573.3 KB · Views: 1,165
More pics...

Jim

Attachments

• Chopper bike 001.jpg
    Chopper bike 001.jpg
    718.7 KB · Views: 1,170
  • Chopper bike 014.jpg
    Chopper bike 014.jpg
    800.6 KB · Views: 2,543
  • Chopper bike 008.jpg
    Chopper bike 008.jpg
    670.9 KB · Views: 988
  • Chopper bike 005.jpg
    Chopper bike 005.jpg
    665.7 KB · Views: 1,085
I spent a lot of time looking at different ways to attach everything without cobbling up the original bike.

There were a lot of hurdles to overcome in order to pull it off. It is not easy to motorize what was not meant to be motorized and create a finished product that is reliable, safe, and appears "production".

The drive set-up solves two problems:

1) Chain alignment from the engine to the rear wheel.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I am at present awaiting A Spoiler that I plan on putting an electic motor on. I have browsed the net for the past couple of weeks looking for pictures of the spacing on the back wheel, picture 2 in your post is the best iv'e seen so far.
Do you have any more pictures of your chain/spacing setup on the back wheel?

Regards
Tom

I don't have a good pic...All I did was machine a steel sprocket that mounts with the same screws that hold the rotor on. 32T is the maximum tooth count you can use and still retain the rear brake.

Jim

Back