Schwinn Stingray build

carrot_top

Local time
3:44 AM
hey everyone...im working on a schwinn stingray build, though still in the begining stages...im going to be using an 80cc motor kit bought from ebay...though due to the stingrays large tubes, im going to have to make a motor mount....after a quick search i found this thread: http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=15904&highlight=schwinn+stingray ...the video in it shows the mount he used...im going to try to make one similar to that...although instead of bolting right through the frame i was thinking of using U bolts (going to try to avoid drilling in the frame as much as possible....for structual reasons)...

although welding the two tubes to the mount may be somewhat difficult as i dont have access to a welder...im going to see if i cant find anyone who does.....

besides that everythign else should be pretty strait forward with this build...it may take a while though...

heres a pic of the bike in its current condition (pretty much stock except the clutch lever and left grip have been put on..)

IMGP2379.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
at this site i found ( livefastmotors), they have a engine mount kit for the OCC stingray....by the looks of the pictures on the site, it looks like the motor used for the kit is similar to the HT 80cc that i have....

does anyone know if this kit will be a direct bolt on with the HT 80cc motor?

http://www.livefastmotors.com/packages.html

im still deciding wether i should build my own mount or buy this one....though im not looking forward to spending the money, im having trouble finiding the materials to build the mount, as well as the welding equipment....

Hi Carrot top,

It's great to see another Schwinn Sting Ray..( i have a Sting-Ray also)

Spending money sux MOST times, but other times its CASH well spent.

If you want a tidy build- livefast may bee your answer..

I saved up for a gasless mig welder whilst i was riding & building bikes- & i'll never look back- i love my MIG welder..

All the best with your build CT .
Jase

hmm...well considering this is my first build, and i dont have much experience with this kind of stuff....maybe ill just opt to buy the mount for now...

well i finally gave in and bought the mount....should order the sproket tomorrow...and (hopfully) should have a chain purchased by tomorrow as well....so i'll have the build back on track shortly....

Well good news, the motor mount came in today....besides having to re-drill one of the holes on the mount, everything fit just right....everythings mounted and besides finishing up some wiring as well as buying that longer chain and mounting the gas tank, it should be ready to go...pics will be up soon....

just one question, in the manual, it refers to the two wires coming out of the throttle as the "shorter wire" and the "longer wire", no refrences to color....only problem is both wires are the same length, so i cant differentiate between wich one is grounded to the frame, and which one should be soldered to the white wire coming from the motor....

can anyone help we out?...one wire is black, the other is yellow...

Last edited:
just one question, in the manual, it refers to the two wires coming out of the throttle as the "shorter wire" and the "longer wire", no refrences to color....only problem is both wires are the same length, so i cant differentiate between wich one is grounded to the frame, and which one should be soldered to the white wire coming from the motor....

can anyone help we out?...one wire is black, the other is yellow...

these are the killswitch wires?

it doesn't matter, cause they just ground the circuit to the frame.

nice looking bike, btw.

On my bike the Black & Blue go to the coil & and White goes to the Kill Switch......Anyways that the way it works on mine.

I don't think your carb will work going sideways like that, float bowl to the bottom. You should have enough room, I have the same mount.

I have a new Black OCC StingRay sitting in my corner just waiting for a build. Your black OCC looks soo cool.

Back