Schwinn ?

darwin

Local time
2:45 AM
Schwinn I've noticed makes junk wally bikes then they have bikes that go up in the $1000s which I have no doubt are quality bikes. Why would any company ruin their rep by making junk. I bought a Schwinn link from wallyworld at the $180 price point and it was pure crap. Cassette went out w/in a few months, adjustable quill stripped out, brakes were stamped metal and had a lot of flex to them etc.. Any ways schwinn makes some decent looking bikes in the $200 to $400 range but at what point does the junk give way to at least a decent bike? I'm sure you need to know the quality of the components to be assured the bike isn't junk. I'm not really up on components and the line between good and junk. Anyways just ranting...……………………………………..

Blame Wal-Mart. Back in the 80's and 90's they told American bicycle manufacturers to build their bikes under certain cost restrictions or Wally was going to buy from China. This put a lot of American bicycle manufacturers in a precarious position, with Huffy (and later, Schwinn) suffering the worst and sucking it up. The American manufacturers had their bikes manufactured cheaper in Asia and ironically Walmart buys foreign anyway.

My experience is that the decent new bikes that one can actually rely on start around the $250-$300 range. Most of the bikes that Schwinn sells at Walmart are the cheap cost-restricted bikes which are built generic as possible. For example, if you look closely, some of the Schwinn-branded cruisers sold at box stores aren't even real Schwinn cantilevers, they are imitations that don't even appear on Schwinn website. The Schwinn dealer bikes are the real deal.

bikes at dept. store are junk. I lost all respect for Schwinn once WM started carrying the brand. old schwinns were great back in the day.
Pacific Cycle seems to put extra care in some parts, but you still gotta upgrade ALL the little things to handle even a torqueless 48cc CG,, bearings, cables, pedals, brakes, stem,,,,

I went to a bike shop and they mainly had giants which looked cool but $400 for the ATX. He said the same thing about the quality cause CHINA. I have a Schwinn sidewinder but replaced wheels, fork and seat.

shwinn has gone to crap honestly.

there are no dealers that will stock them as its hard to justify the diffrence from wally world, to a average customer.

but the good news is that old schwinn bikes are dirt cheap on craigsilst now. as people assume there walmart bikes and just scroll along. so i can hop them up for 0-10$ a piece lol.

if you want a cheap,quality bike, just get a old daimondback or a old schwinn
. like i did ;)

I've located about 10 bikes on craigs that I like in the past couple of weeks and by the time I get the return email they're gone. So for about $50 to $100 more I can get maybe a new one, maybe. Maybe I need to hit the pawn shops. this one has my eye, it even has sealed ball bearings which is nice. http://bikeshopwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/BSW_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=1750
yea, people im my area just give them away.

i made 150$ flipping a gaint trance that i got for free!
all i had to do was soak the shifters in pb blaster. lol

No way, these bikes are going from a $100 to $200 each. All good brands like Trek, DB, Canondale, Fuji, specialized etc.. Someone is snapping them up. The bikes I look at must be near /close to new condition. Don't want a lot of miles on it w/wear and parts needing replaced. It's expensive enough just equipping a bike to be in MAB mode.

Last edited:
bikes at dept. store are junk. I lost all respect for Schwinn once WM started carrying the brand.

Walmart forced Schwinn to do it, and Schwinn had to do it to stay alive. Walmart is the bad guy, not Schwinn.

shwinn has gone to crap honestly.

Schwinn makes really good road bikes and MTBs, all their dealer bikes are pretty good. Problem is that they don't make the best cruisers anymore.

Back