Scooterguy Mount With Tanaka 47R Engine

Yeah, I have to blip the throttle while downshifting into first and second gear. If I don't, "clank-clank" go the cassette gears.

The new Tanaka 47R engine hasn't broken in yet, so I'm hesitant in spinning high rpms with it. Since I don't wind it out, top speed isn't up there until engine break-in is finalized.

Rick has broken in the 460 engine, so I should be able to blend with traffic.

Scooterguy Drive With 460 Engine!

I spent the weekend replacing the Tanaka 47R engine with a GP460 engine. The throttle cable housing was a fraction of an inch too short, making the cable too long. Since it's matched to the Tanaka engine's throttle linkage and grip, a new cable and grip was installed. A 1-liter goped tank bolted on, since 460 engines don't have saddle tanks. Two 7/32" holes were drilled topside for the fuel and return lines. The tank's original fuel grommet was discarded and a plastic swatch was cemented on to cover the hole. I couldn't find my JB WELD, which worked well in patching my other goped tank. Unfortunately, the cement didn't hold, so tank needs JB WELD for permanent fix.

I Just HAD to try the new engine, even though the tank leaked. A temporary patch worked, so off to the park we went. Engine started fairly easily, idled well. After a few minutes' warmup, the bike charged up the same steep grassy hillside with less effort and noise than the Tanaka engines. Carb adjustment might need a little tweaking. Powershifting was smooth, unlike how the Tanaka engines want to throw me off the bike on every shift.

Tanaka 47R engines are MUCH louder than GP460 engines with stock mufflers.

I'm grateful that my friend Rick reversed the piston/cylinder on this 460. The hot muffler is forward and carb faces rearward, which makes more room for my left leg. The Tanaka is literally almost on my lap; the 460 has a few inches more clearance.

The pocketbike clutch engaged MUCH lower than the new Tanaka engine. I am VERY impressed with the velvet-smooth connection when power is transmitted to the drivetrain. Whereas both of my 47R engines grab with brutal engagement of a racing clutch, this one is more like a soft, pleasant OEM diaphragm clutch of a daily driver. Last year I replaced two 460 engines' $54 clutches with these $9 pocketbike clutches. I like them so much that I ordered 3 spares yesterday.

The goped tank is drained, so I'll JB WELD the fuel hole and drill for a petcock, maybe tonight.

I can't wait until I get this puppy running well, so I can ride it to work.

The JB WELD fix worked perfectly; I knew it would. A quarter coin makes a perfect patch; instead, I used a circular patch cut from an old carrying case for a cordless drill.

On Wednesday, I carried my bike downstairs, filled its tank and pedalled to the sidewalk, enroute to work. The engine started easily, warmed up. As soon as I released the bike stand, the engine died. Drat! Dejavu...

broken clutch spring. When I reinstalled the clutch, one spring was slightly mangled. Fortunately, I had ordered THREE complete $9.00 clutches from DavesDiscountMotors on Sunday. When I got home from work yesterday, the package from DDM was awaiting me. What better reason to ask for a day's vacation today, than to fix my commuter bike?:giggle:

My 1.5 liter goped tank from DDM arrived, but its cap won't fit the bike's 1 liter goped tank from Staton. The tanks have different mounting patterns, so need to spend time fabbing new mounts, rerouting fuel lines to the top, drilling for petcock, JB WELDing original fuel inlets, etc.

I HATE emptying fuel tanks; petcocks make a lot of sense. Gas mileage can be precisely calculated, tank can be drained to bring the bike indoors.

Need to get this bike running. Wife and son work tomorrow, so both cars are spoken for. I have a group study with my beautiful young fellow college students at 10am, blood donation at 1215pm, martial arts class at 2pm. Town is 6 miles in, but my meeting places are a half-mile of each other.

Must fix bike, can't wait for tomorrow!

Last edited by a moderator:
I removed the 460 engine and noticed that one of the clutch bolts had loosened and was binding against the drum. Clutch springs were okay, but I replaced and locktited everything except the baseplate. This was a $9 fix.:bowdown:

I'll replace the goped tank over the weekend. At least I can ride my bike to my appointments tomorrow.

IN THE MEANTIME, I made a temporary gas cap out of 11 inches of bicycle tire tubing. After cleaning thoroughly, I slipped it over the filler hole, then tied a loose knot with the excess. That way, the tank can vent through the knot, but not leak gasoline.

Unsure how long this "cap" will last, so I fabbed three of them. I just made this temporary cap for the first time.:unsure:

Yesterday, I carried my bike downstairs, gassed up then pedalled to the sidewalk. Before starting the engine, I raised the idle and richened both carb screws 1/16", just to see what'd happen. Should've left it alone; the 460 engine is VERY senstive to carb adjustments. Engine ran okayyyy, could be better.

I had this same engine on friction drive last year, before the piston ring melted. It was very hard starting back then; after Rick repaired it and reversed the piston/cylinder, it starts VERY easily and idles well.

After warmup, off I rode into town to the Blood Bank of Hawaii. I'd canceled my study group appointment, because of conflicting schedules. The engine seemed dependable enough to bypass the side streets and bikepath, so I claimed the lane down Nimitz highway. Traffic was very light, so lots of room to cruise at 30mph+ without tailgaters.

Daughter called while I was at the blood bank. She wants me to leave my MB chained to the fence and jump into her MiniCooper for the mile ride to martial arts class. Heck no, aint leaving my bike in "Ripoff City"; I was the last donor, and the bank was closing. So she drives to her brother's workplace, borrows his van and wants me to wait for her there. Jesus, meet me at the class and I'll put my MB in the van.(I guess she worries for me:cool:)

Daughter mentioned that someone might steal my bike while I'm in class for two hours. I said I have a 6'/12lb. Fugettaboutit chain on my bike. If they can steal my bike, they can have it. I'll just build another one.

As I started the engine, I noticed a nasty oil leak at the cylinder base. Hmmm, probably a loose cylinder bolt, which my friend Rick had mentioned before. Fuel return line had pulled out of the goped tank, but that was an easy fix. The engine wasn't as smooth as when I left home. Maybe it was the carb adjustment.

As soon as I reset the carb adjustment to its original settings, the engine roared to life instantly, sounded strong.:giggle:

I was very impressed with how easy that engine started after Rick rebuilt it. Just takes like 1/2 a pull! May need some loctite on the cylinder bolts? Sounds like everyone may be up for a ride by next weekend!

Cylinder bolts were tight, but I replaced them and locktited them anyway. Oil leak might've been loose muffler bolts.

I rotated the 460 engine 90 degrees counterclockwise. In doing so, my ADA S-1 pipe with exhaust hose and lawnmower muffler had room to be installed. Thank goodness the exhaust is away from me, on the opposite side of the engine. No more burns! Goped tank was moved from left front to right front to clear the pipe.

While removing the engine, I noticed that the drive sprocket on the tranny was missing its snapring/c-clip. I'm glad I caught that, and installed a new c-clip.

My 99-cent boost bottle from ebay slipped right in; all it needs are large clamps to secure it to the frame.

The JB WELD/petcock install needs 15 hours to cure.

Can't wait to ride tomorrow.:giggle:

Jesus, it's been 34 days since I ordered my Tanaka 47R replacement parts. If that was my only engine, Id have been motor-less since then.:whistle:

All I needed was a $3 oil seal.:sick:

My 460 engine's sparkplug was soaking wet with fuel/oil when I worked on the engine yesterday. After submerging it in alcohol, I hope it rejuvenates itself.

I'll give the JB WELD more time to cure. The hole I drilled and tapped in the plastic goped tank for the petcock was tight. JB WELD was just insurance around the threads.

It's a BEAUUUU-TI-FUL day in Hawaii nei. It's Labor Day, so traffic should be VERY light. Partly cloudy, 79 degrees F., easterly winds at 7mph, 62% humidity. What more can I ask for?

Can't wait to gas and go!

It was a labor-intensive day to get the 460 engine roadworthy. A 1.5 liter Goped tank is sturdily mounted, petcock installed and not leaking. I drilled and tapped the tank's cap and neck. A small allen-headed bolt screws through the cap and neck to keep passersby from messing with the tank.

The air cleaner canister points straight up, making it tempting for a prankster to pour something down the cleaner. I'll drill a whole bunch of holes into the top half of the canister and cap it with a 7-ounce tuna can to prevent vandalism.

ADA S1 pipe is in, as well as exhaust tubing and lawnmower muffler. Boost bottle mounted.

With the tank filled, the 460 engine started easily, but ran EXTREMELY rough.
A few carb adjustments and the bike ran enough to ride to the nearby park. More carb adjustments and the bike charged up the steep grassy hill. With that done, more adjustments on the paved road's slight incline.

The 460 engine buzzed into action. The stiff 44.25:1 first gear had always stifled the muffled Tanaka 47R engine. The 460 utilized first gear well to get to its high rpm. Once there, second gear kept the revs climbing. With six extra cassette gears, top speed was WAYYYY past my intended cruising speeds.

I have built many motorized bicycles, from my first 1.6hp Subaru/Dahon folder bike to my present creation.

This is the most powerful combination I have assembled. Two of my former monsters ran 460 engines with friction drive. The shift kit's ability to optimize the engine's peak hp/tq allows this bike to run far away from my 460/friction drive creations.:geek:

The key which unlocks the 460's power is the ADA S1 expansion pipe. The OEM canister muffler restricts the engine from reaching top hp/tq figures.

The key which effectively harnesses the GP460 engine is the shift kit and appropriate gear ratios.

Tomorrow should be an easy testride to get to work. Still searching for optimum carb adjustments.

I can't wait for daylight!:devilish:

I rode my bike every day to work this week; it was like an thrilling amusement ride that lasted 25 minutes each way! When the road is wet or the bike is limping, I ride the bikepath at speeds well under 20mph. When everything's right, I claim the lane and keep up with 35mph traffic. A split-second brain fade brought me close to the curb on the highway. MUST be alert at all times; that instant could have been the death of me.:sick:

The 460 engine runs an ADA S1 expansion pipe and is silenced by a length of hose and a lawnmower muffler. Its exhaust is quiet enough, but the engine's spitting oil onto my chainring, crank arms, down tube and cassette ANNND my shoes and pants cuffs. I need to extend the exhaust hose past the chainstay to keep things clean.

This engine runs 25:1 fuel/oil ratio. If I swap in the Tanaka 47R engine, it runs a 50:1 fuel/oil ratio, so should be less messy.

The carb adjustments are VERY sensitive. I'm still searching for the right combination while riding, so a small screwdriver is tucked into my glove. I thought about keeping the driver in my shirt pocket, but might stab myself in the heart(!!!!!) if I fell the wrong way.

This MB needs to be started with the bikestand down and the rear wheel off the ground. The instant that the engine fires up, the GP460 roars to life at high rpm and clutch fully engaged. If the wheel is on the ground, the bike wants to rip itself out of your hand and take off without you. It's like a wild stallion, a stampeding metal pony needing to be broken in.

The 460 and ultra-low first and second gears apply so much power to the ground. If you don't have a firm grip, you will FEEL your butt sliding back on the bike seat as you accelerate. This MB is trying to throw me off towards the back of the bike. Throttle must be judiciously applied for safety's sake. No pedal-assisting at any time is necessary. This is REALLY a small-displacement motorcycle, perfect for speeds under 30mph.

The goped tank's locking gas cap with allen screw works well. I keep the allen wrench inside the soft handlebar grip. Luckily, it is the same wrench that I use regularly to adjust my mirrors.

The tuna can "bonnet" for my air cleaner is the bomb, and so easy to mount. The 3.25" food can fits over the 2.875" air cleaner canister with room for airflow. I drilled 27 holes with a 3/8" bit in the upper half of the canister, so ya can't see the holes. A small hole in bottom center, and a half inch spacer between tuna can and air cleaner allows airflow to the original air vents and the 27 new holes.

Now I don't have to worry around what little rain could enter the air cleaner canister's original air vents...

or the prankster that pours a can of soda down my air cleaner while the bike is parked at work or school. Being that the air cleaner canister is facing straight up, that soda WILL flow straight down the carburetor into the engine!:sick:

Feedback from passersby have been positive. A kid asked me how he could install an engine on his bike. I told him it was not possible(for his own safety's sake). I referred my neighbor to this website. A few mopeds have sidled up to me at the lights or at slow speed in traffic. They floor their engine and I let them slip by. The "cool" moped rider has rubber slippers on, with bermuda shorts, tee shirt and sun glasses. I've got my motorcycle helmet, transitional prescription glasses, kneepads, gloves, 20lb hydration backpack(it's like a rear-facing "air bag"), jeans and shoes.

Most responses to the sight of a motorized bicycle here are utter amazement. For one thing, ya might see a handful of MB's in a herd of 800,000 registered vehicles stuck in traffic on a 23 square-mile island. Another might be because of this bike's quick acceleration from a standstill ANNNND the shifting of gears. Any correlation to the thousands of resident mopeds is quickly dismissed when I shift gears...again....then again...then again...

Back