Scooterguy Mount With Tanaka 47R Engine

cool setup nuttsy! 5-7 has a different setup, his prblem is with the bike drive chain. The front derailer is removed, and his engine drives the freewheel at the pedals. When the rear derailer down shifts, it tends to pull the chain off the front freewheel. I am not sure how we could put more tension on the bike chian, it needs to be moveable to keep shifting.

Yeah Ed,
I wasn't really clear on WHERE his problem was. I was looking at the photos and saw the chain from the motor to the J/S and thought that was where the problem was. What I have wouldn't be of any value on the other side if it has to have enough movement to shift up and down.
However, maybe the tensioner with JUST enough pressure on it to keep the chain from bouncing might do the trick?!? IDK?
I know I was pulling my hair out (what little is left) trying to get my problem solved until I did this guide setup.
Good luck; I'm sure you guys 'ill figger it out in no time. I know 5-7 won't give up 'till it's solved!
NUTZ

I believe Nuttsy's idea would work in between the engine and outer chainring. This would solve the problem with the drive chain loosening. Adding a spring to it to add tension, rather than having to loosen the scooterguy mounts and reposition the engine everytime the drive chain loosens might be a plus.

As far as the chain suck problem, no Hawaii Ed sounds right. To add tension to the chain that runs from the inner chainring to the back cogs, Ocscully one time told that you can take out a couple of links out of the chain and it should add tension. (maybe that will help solve the chain suck problem)

My chain suck problem is gone. I no longer have it. I can not exactly tell you what stopped it though. I did clean my chain and it stopped though.

On another note........................................

I picked up another engine today and was thinking of maybe utilizing the 5:1 gearbox that the scooterguy uses on his builds to make another ride. Was wondering what sprocket chain choices are available that fit the 6 spline output shaft on the tranny.

I know the 8mm chain fits it because of the scooterguy/5-7builds, Is there a 6 spline sprocket that will turn 1/2 x 1/8 bmx chain? Is there a 6 spline sprocket that will fit it that will turn #25 chain?

If anyone knows, I would appreciate it.

Nuttsy,

That skateboard wheel is pretty slick, what did you do, put it in a drill or lathe, then put a chisel on it and make the groove. It looks like it took a lot of licks to get to the center of that tootsie pop.

Thatsdax has 10-tooth "cookie-cutter" stampings for the 5:1/6-pinion gearbox. Scooterguy got me 11-tooth, 14-tooth and 20-tooth sprockets for 8mm chain. electricscooterparts has 14-tooth and 15-tooth cogs for #25 chain.

perhaps just running the happytime tensioner as a guide to help align the bike chain onto the sprocket might work....

pulling some links is a good idea, will look at it. 5-7 has some small shain rings on his bike, should be able to go much smaller on the chain...

Nuttsy

Got The Email Today. Have Sent Many!! System Will Not Resend To You. Can You Pm Me Here With Phone Number. Pm To You Is Not Working. Don`t Know How To Contac U. Ron

Thanks guys,

I would like to stick with the 1/2 x 1/8 BMX chain. It is easy to come by. I can get it locally vs. mail, and not get nailed on shipping. However, has anyone seen this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200397905501&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I wonder if this would thread/bolt up to the freewheel cranks that thatsdax.com sells.

I think(but not sure) the PTO 5:1 gearbox he sells is the same thing that the scooterguy uses on his builds, and you could get the freewheel cranks from him as well. You figure if you can find a #25 chain sprocket with a 6 spline that will bolt up to the thatsdax tranny, and if the above ebay item will thread/bolt up to his cranks, then you are almost home with a VERY ECONOMICAL/VALUE ADDED build.

I right now have an extra engine up in N.C., but only one bike. I do however have 3 bikes in FL. I however will not be down there until around Oct. or when it starts getting cold. So I would not be starting it for a while. Any guinea pigs out there????

Just thought I would lay down some ground work/ideas if anyone wanted to try and embark on there own/self made scooterguy build before i did.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Bone

All The Parts You Are Referring To Will Interchange. That Freewheel Adapter Will Fit On Sbp And Dax Pedal Crank, It Is Standard Right Hand Thread = 1 3/8" X 24 Tpi. It Is A 4 Bolt Hole , Sbp Adapter Will Have 5 Bolt Holes.

Both Adapters Fit Into A 2 1/8" Center Hole In The Sprockets.

The Six Spline 5:1 Ratio Reverse Rotation Pocket Bike Gear Box Is Used By Dax And The Former Scooter Guy. Dax Has A Good 1/2" Pitch Bmx Chain 10 Tooth Sprocket That Fits The Gear Box, About $10. That Is What I Have On My Build.

On My Diy Build = 10 Tooth On Gear Box And Run Chain To Sbp 48 Tooth Chain Ring. Then I Had To Order A 30 Tooth From Sbp To Get The Proper Gearing.

The 30 Tooth Bolts To The 48 Tooth On The Pedals. Another Thing I Put A Rear Cassette With A 34 Tooth Low Gear. Works Great. Recently Bought A Cassette With A 38 Tooth Low Gear For In The Woods Etc. Bear In Mind That I Go Over 300 Lbs. I Never Have To Pedal Assist.

I Used Parts From My Sbp Shifter Kit.

You Can Do It With #25 Or 8mm Chain And Sprockets. And Have More Gear Ratio`s Available To You. You Can Buy The Threaded Pair Of Pedal Cranks For $24. The 4 Hole Freewheel Adapters Sell For $7. 8mm Chain Is $3. Per Foot With 1 Master Link.

Ron

I Used 8mm Chain And Sprockets On My "cvt Rack Mount" Builds.

5-7

Nice Looking Builds You And Ed Have. With All Our Pm`s, I Did Not Realize You Had The Shifter Build.

With My Mount System, Was Able To Get The Motor Farther Forward. Had To Put 2 90 Degree Copper Pipe Street Elbows On The Muffler To Direct The Heat Off My Leg.

Don`t Know If I Should Post Pic. People May Be Getting Sic Of Them. Was Going To Make A Much Neater Mount Plate, But It Runs So Good!!

Found Better Model Of The Frame Clamps. The 1 1/4 Tube Clamp Sells For $2.95. Ron

Attachments

• WELD-MOUNT VIBRATION-DAMPING CLAMPS.JPG
    WELD-MOUNT VIBRATION-DAMPING CLAMPS.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 401
  • 100_1235.jpg
    100_1235.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 372
  • 100_1242.jpg
    100_1242.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 384
  • 100_1257.jpg
    100_1257.jpg