Scooterguy Mount With Tanaka 47R Engine

Hi Ron,

The Shifter Build is one of my projects, beside my GEBE/friction drive prototype and front chain drive project.

You do us a GREAT favor by building and talking about your DIY's and posting your pictures. I'm sure I'm not the only one picking up helpful hints from your projects.:bowdown:

Keep up the good work and keep posting pictures!:bowdown:

Well, I bought a new Shimano chain for the bike. something tells me it's NOT the bike chain that's causing the problem, because I've broken and repaired three of them, two new ones. I miked the old and new chans; they're the same.

Methinks it MIGHT BE the 8-speed cassette. I have a spare rear HD Staton wheel(no disc) with brand-new cassette. Might as well swap it in and see if it solves the chainsucking problem.:geek:

5-7

I Am Not Positive, But I Think There Is About 3 Different Chain Size`s For The Cassettes. 8-9 Speed Chain Is Too Narrow For 5-7 Speed Sprockets. Think I Read That On The Forums.

Maybe Call A Bike Shop And Ask. Just A Thought. Thanks For The Kind Words.

Ron

You're welcome, Ron.

I asked the bike shop owner. He said that the Shimano HG50 is for 8-speed cassettes. It also says so on the box.:geek:

My friend Rick dropped by to borrow an air cleaner. He just rebuilt and installed the engine I loaned him. So from 1.6hp Honda, he swapped to a 4.2hp GP460 screamer. Now he doesn't have to hug the road's curb anymore!

Rick joined our family for a picnic yesterday at Ala Moana Park, and he rode in on his Honda-powered/NuVinci bike. When he rode off, all we heard was the gearbox, not the engine.

When he took off from my house today, all I could hear was the high-winding 460 engine and no gearbox!:geek:

When he rebuilt the GP460...

HE REVERSED THE PISTON AND CYLINDER, SO THE MUFFLER IS NOW TO THE REAR OF THE ENGINE!!!:unsure:

5-7
Are There Any Pic`s Of Rick`s Build On The Forum. What Tranny Make`s All The Noise? Probably All Of Them!! Lol. Is The Nuvinci Quiet?

That Motor Is 46cc? Must Turn Some Mean Rpm. Ron

Ed

How You Doing Bud? Thanks For Pic Reply. Sounds Like You Guy`s Are Having Fun. I Know I Will Be In N Wisconsin The Rest Of The Summers, Just Too Hot Here. Ron

5-7,

I'm not sure, but this maybe is what is causing your chain suck problem. The 8-9speed chain has a narrower width than 7 speed chain. A 8-9 speed chain width is 5/64th's where as a 7 speed chain width is 3/32nd's. So the 8-9speed chain might mesh well with your rear cassette, but that is not where the problem is.

Chain suck results from the chain sticking to the bottom of the front chainring. So it doesn't dump/drop the chain properly, thus causing the chain to ride up the chainring, and then get stuck in between the chainring and rear stay.

I'm not sure, but if you could run a 7 speed chain, or maybe file down the teeth's width on the inner scooterguy chain ring it might not grab the chain and make it ride up the chainring and get caught in the rear stay.

TWEEK,

Good place to upload photo's. Got additional ideas. If you had to choose between your CVT build or your Scooterguy build to use, which one would you choose?

This question is for anyone out there that has used thatsdax.com AND SBP shifter kits. I got a set of chain rings from SBP's and I'm very happy with. They are very hard, and show very little wear. During my first build, I got thatsdax to add shifter chain rings to his website for people not getting the whole shifter kit. However I look at them and they look to be substandard. They do not look to be the same quality as SBP's chain rings. I do not know, it is just what it looks. So for those of you that have used BOTH SBP's and Thatsdax.com chainrings on your shifter builds, have you noticed any difference in chainring strength between the two?

The reason why I ask is that thatsdax sells the 5:1 tranny for a scooterguy build, but SBP's doesn't. Getting everything at one place cuts down on shipping costs.

Thanks,

Bone

Have 2 Cvt Builds, Both Work Very Well And Smooth. Have Not Rode Them A Lot Of Miles. The Cag Motor (horizontal Piston & Cyclinder = Lay`s Flatter/lower) Is Easy For Me To Mount. Being 71 Now I Need To Almost Lay The Titan Cvt Rear Mount On The Ground To Get My Leg Over= Need A Girls Frame.

The Diy Shifter Is Easy To Get Aboard!! Lol I Like The Gears Also. It Is Fun Ripping Around Thru The Gears.

In Long Term I Think The Cvt Would Be Less Maintenance. To Bad They Are Wide For A Frame Mount. I Thought About Mounting One In A Stretch, Or Something With The Pedal`s Forward.

Waynec Has A Lot Of Miles On His Cvt With Good Luck.

A Friend Told Me That A Man Can Never Have Too Many Fish Pole`s. I Think It Applies To Mab`s Also. Ron

Back