scoring to cylinder wall shortly after new build

Jacob911

Local time
1:37 PM
I recently rebuilt a 2 stroke engine from one of those old Chinese kits. I replaced the piston, cylinder, needle bearing,clips, wrist pin, rings and all gaskets. the motor has about an hour of run time so far. I took the head off to look inside. It looks like there is a lot of cylinder scoring. I am confused why it would be since it's running a 16/1 ratio. I ran my finger inside. Its still really smooth. my finger nail doesn't come close to catching. It just seems like a lot of scoring to me.
thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5678.jpg
    IMG_5678.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 933
  • IMG_5677.jpg
    IMG_5677.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 517
It's normal for the piston to leave scratches on the cylinder wall as the engine breaks in, if there is a big gouge, then there is trouble.

did you oil up the parts when installing it? or did you just run it dry the first time starting it?
if you didnt, then the piston scored from running dry the first few cycles.

its nothing to worry about, id ride it as is

First 16:1 is way to much oil even 20:1 is to much imo,32:1 is much better suited to these engines.The cylinder shown is still in good shape though it does have some issues of not being truly round as is evident by the wear pattern.There is a long inverted funnel shape wear pattern above the transfer bridge that the top of the bridge is causing and you can see the extra wear on the bridge top it's self witch means the ring doesn't seal there well as it shows from not looking polished just like the very top where the ring stop's going any higher,the chrome is there it's just not the same color because of this.There is also a rectangle shaped area just to the right of the transfer where it's not seeing ring pressure witch means that area is lower than the rest or the polished look would be even through out to the top line. It's still usable and normal for the china crap we get!

Back