Scottsdale AZ Police Want To Jail MotoredBiker!!

bamabikeguy

Local time
4:03 AM
Mode of transportation at heart of traffic stopsCarol Sowers
The Arizona Republic
Sept. 19, 2007 12:00 AM

SCOTTSDALE - A 50-year-old Scottsdale man is battling traffic citations in City Court because he says he was ticketed twice by a police officer who doesn't know the difference between a motorized bicycle and a moped.

Steve Livingston says the officer, R. Royston, a longtime traffic officer, does not understand a new law that treats motorized bicycles like traditional pedal-powered bicycles.

Jesse Squier, Livingston's lawyer, argued that a veteran traffic officer like Royston should have known about the new law, and that he "has a vendetta against my client."

But Scottsdale prosecutor Mike De La Cruz argued that Livingston's motorized bicycle really is a moped and that the officer "acted in good faith."

The year-old law says riders who attach motors no larger than 33 1/2 cubic centimeters to their bicycles don't need a driver's license, insurance or registration, and can travel in bicycle lanes, but can't go more than 20 mph.

Royston testified Monday that he never heard of the new law when he stopped Livingston in November for riding his orange motorized bike in a bicycle lane along Granite Reef Road, near McDowell Road. The officer cited Livingston for "driving on a suspended license."

Livingston admitted his license had been suspended for drunken-driving, but told Royston at the time that he didn't need a driver's license to ride his motorized bicycle.

Scottsdale Judge Wendy Morton dismissed the suspended-license charge Monday, but Livingston's trial on a speeding ticket will continue later this month.

Royston spotted Livingston a second time in March, again riding his motorized bike in a bicycle lane near Eldorado Park at Oak Street and Miller Road.

The officer said he retrieved his radar gun from his patrol car and clocked Livingston at 28 mph, 8 mph faster than the legal limit for motorized bikes.

Royston pursued Livingston until the cyclist stopped a few blocks later, again on Granite Reef Road.

Livingston testified that his cycle speedometer showed him going no faster than 19.5 mph that day.

At least he's got mb.gumption. Power to the peop...........

Ain't that something! Tell that cop that doghnuts are free down the street next time.
What a waste of taxpayers money. There are regular unmotorized highspeed bikes that go much faster than 20 MPH. Does that make them illegal? I might understand if the gent was drunk and wrecklessly driving.
Go bust a serial killer and use our money properly. I have had a trycycle over 20 MPH down a hill before. GRR!
Doc

sent to the scottsdale city council using this form: https://eservices.scottsdaleaz.gov/feedback/CouncilEmail.asp?mailto=citycouncil@scottsdaleaz.gov&t=1

from this article: http://www.azcentral.com/community/scottsdale/articles/0918sr-bikes0919-ON.html

""I'm going to settle this argument, and a judge is too, and we're going to put you in jail for it," Royston said, according to the transcript."

one question: are you kidding me?!!

you're gonna try to jail a man for getting almost 200mpg at 20mph?...i think you all should admit to a misunderstanding and find a way to more fully incorporate this excitng and completely politically-correct mode of transportation into your community.

"augidog"
admin/moderator
www.motoredbikes.com
c'mon guys...this is the beginning, no?

oh, man...that IS torques.

the article also says, "As far as I was concerned he was a Moped in a bicycle lane, Royston testified, adding that he "had a hard time catching up with him."
really? hard time catching someone going around 20mph? what kind of patrol car has THAT kind of trouble?

during the first City Council meeting, one cop said that they clocked a rider on a motoredbike 'travelling 50+ mph, (we all laughed at this) weaving in and out of traffic...EXTREME DUI!' haha..he said that with such contempt.

good luck, torques..the law is always 'right', even when they're not.

Last edited by a moderator:
did you use the form to let scottsdale know what's up?

i'd love to generate a couple hundred submissions thru MBc...anyone else feel the same way?

i'd love to generate a couple hundred submissions thru MBc...anyone else feel the same way?

you know i do. what would it take, and how would it work?
this is just the kind of thing i could get into.
a guy we ride with occasionally, is AZ Rep Tim Prezelski. he's the one who wrote the law, making these legal in AZ. if i remember correctly, the law says under 49cc's. is it possible for City to trump State law?

Last edited:
Back