Screaming Primary Gears, noise fix

what about the heat after a long run. dosent it shrink or burn the mouse pad and what about the cardboard. i know it catches on fire easily with little heat.
sounds like a good idea thoough. im gonna have to try it out if u guys dont have probelms with heat on them.
thanks,
cody

I still use a cross pattern of Silicone rubber on the inside of the cover, just stay out of the very center that is the place the clutch lifts to. All my bikes are done now, I like to polish the covers and make them look good. Have fun, Dave

PS: Tap on the cover before you start, then add the rubber and hear the sound go away.

Try an asphalt-based sound deadening sheet material used in automotive sound installations. They're often glued to the firewall & on the inside of doors to deaden engine & road sounds.

MCM electronics carries the stuff - I believe Crutchfield does also.

Just an update to this subject.....
There is an inexpensive product called "Peel & Seal" . It's just like DynaMat but way cheap.
I used it for sound deadening in my 52 Chevy truck. It's found at roofing supply places. Home depot also sells stuff that is similar. It's silver allum. on one side and very sticky rubber-like on the other side. It comes in rolls that are about 6"+ wide. Holds up to heat very well. Very flexible and will conform to any surface.

This worked well for me......

Helical No Help

The primary is so noisey because of the cut of the gears, if they where helical cut they would be quieter, I just put a layer of silicon inside mine, some oil in there would also quieten it down, pity its not a wet clutch.
The barrel fins make a racket to, you can chock them, see Ghosts pic. I used fuel hose. (see pic) both of these mods make for a way quieter engine.

My engine is a DAX 80cc that I just installed. I am new and this is my first build so I don't know what is suppose to sound right or wrong. It Has Helical Cut gears. It screams like a maniac or at least is pretty loud to me. It continues sounding like this even coasting downhill. If I pull the clutch in (Disengage wheel from the engine) the whineing stops and I just hear the sweet engine idling. I put cardboard inside the clutch housing like has been suggested but the noise is the same. I also put a good heavy grease on the gears and kept it away from the clutch. I really don't like the sound because it makes me feel like something is wrong or is going to come apart. However if the sound is normal then I can go with it because I am having a lot of fun on this thing. I would like to get less noise though.

Pull your cover off again and make sure that nothing is rubbing on the cover. I had to grind material away on the covers on both of my engines as the gears were touching the cover around the edge.

omg those r gr8 ideas ! love the cardboard ! gonna do it right now !!! thank u guys ! thought something was breaking ? but just normal deal ! aloha !

Back