Screw head stripped on magneto cover

moun10biker

Local time
8:37 PM
On the magneto cover casing, 1 of the screws (out of 4) head is stripped. I can't unscrew it. How can I get it loose, so I could replace it. I need the screw off, because I need to replace the magneto. Help.

I use a 1/4" drive ratchet. A driver bit fits perfectly into one of the sockets, 6 mm I think.
Maybe 5 mm. This will give you enough leverage to hold the screw head without stripping.

If it's too late for that, then I guess you'd better get one of those "screwdrivers" that you whack with a hammer.

Once you get them out then you'll want to replace them with something with a better head. Hex heads or Allen heads are good. If you have trouble finding them, then Phillips heads are acceptable. You'll only need to replace every now and then when stripping starts.

Those bolts are either 5 mm or 6 mm. I don't remember off-hand. But you'll be able to figure that out.

Good luck.

If the heads on the 6mm screw bolts are too screwed up you can either drill the head off (only back plate is threaded), or a small hole into the screw, and use a easy out. I have drilled much harder bolts out with a left handed drill bit (this is no BS) and have had success.

Back