SD Stinger on a Huffy frame

I just got this bike running 2 days ago, it's far from finished, but I can't quit riding it. It's an old huffy mountain bike frame and fork, wheels off my Schwinn Drifter cruiser. I made track style dropouts, and plan to use BMX chain adjusters, but the ones I have are too short. I am on my 4th quart of gas already, (I only mix 1 quart at a time). 150 miles a gallon my butt...not even half that. I haven't even put grips on it yet. I am super impressed with this stinger motor, I took it apart before I ever put it in the frame...the crank is straight as can be. I did file the ring gaps, (.014" now), the bottom ring had less that .002" end gap, it would probably have seized by now. Yeah, I know, I should have a hanger at the rear of the muffler, will get to it pronto! The kill switch wires are coiled up and hanging from the left side of the handlebars. Don't have the bike chain on it in these pics either.

What would you rate the millage at? How fast does it go? I plan to make one of these in the future. I have $349 for it and I need $620 to make a complete bike. Insurance is too much for me. But anyway would this be good for transportation with 50 miles round trip? How far can you go on one tank? Also how do you start it with no chain on the pedals?

What would you rate the millage at? How fast does it go? I plan to make one of these in the future. I have $349 for it and I need $620 to make a complete bike. Insurance is too much for me. But anyway would this be good for transportation with 50 miles round trip? How far can you go on one tank? Also how do you start it with no chain on the pedals?
I can tell you that it doesn't get anywhere near 150 miles a gallon. I only mix up a quart at a time, and I would estimate I get maybe 20 miles out of that...I had, and still do plan to put on my Cateye cyclometer currently on another bike, then I will have a lot better idea what I am getting in the way of mileage. It is jetting really rich, so when I get my new jets and lean it out, it will get better mileage. It is also geared rather low, I would like to drop about 5 teeth on that rear sprocket, and that would help speed and mileage as well. I would say the top speed is close to 30 mph, but the motor just screams at that speed, I cruise about 20 mph, at that speed the motor seems to be happy. I have never ridden it anywhere close to 50 miles, my longest ride has been closer to 10 miles. Like I said I only mix up a quart of fuel at a time, so I'm not sure how far I could go on a tankfull, one reason I don't fill it up is that the gas cap leaks a little when I lean it over very far, so if the tank was full, I'm sure it would leak more. I need to get a 1/2 link for my single speed bike chain, then I could run both chains, currently the bike chain is way too saggy. To start it, I just put my left foot on the left pedal, get going with my right foot, hop on the saddle and let the clutch out...it fires right up and I am gone. Obviously I have no brakes without the bike chain, But I'll be getting that 1/2 link in a day or two.

Looking good except for one thing, no front brake.
No MB is safe with just a coaster brake.
You can bolt on a simple C-brake through the fender mount hole for like $15.

Nice and clean! Great first build. You were wise to eliminate the nasty chain tensioner. Half-links on the pedal chain can even things out.
I agree with KC. You need more braking power. You have the holes for front and rear calipers: run the cables to a dual-pull (($15.00) brake lever on the right side, and you'll be safe and sane. Enjoy it!

Back