Second annual Mid Atlantic MB Rally, Cape Henlopen (Lewes) DE September 26 & 27, 2009

KilroyCD

Local time
9:55 AM
Hi all, let's get things rolling in preparation for next year. Those of us who attended this year's rally all said we're looking forward to next year. We plan to keep the same venue, and I will be in touch with the people at the park to maybe add some improvements. If we commit early enough, the Biden Center will possibly be available for accomodations at greatly reduced prices compared with hotels.
I think we should work with one or two of the restaurants in Lewes about a group event there. Maybe they can offer special pricing, have some entertainment, etc. Just a thought. I will say that I really liked the Irish Eyes Pub and Restaurant. Maybe we can get something going with them.
Quenton had mentioned about having two groups of rides, one for the faster bikes, another for the slower bikes. That's not as much of a concern in the park, where the speed limit is 25mph, but outside the park, the limit heading towards Lewes is 35mph. The Whizzers can do that, but some of the others may not be able to. Dan's 70cc HT was able to keep up nicely though.
Okay, now is the time to start throwing out some ideas. Let's have them. Also, we need a Rally Committee. I'm volunteering, and I'll handle coordinating things with the park again if nobody has any objections. Who else would like to volunteer?

Last edited:
Cape Henlopen Bike Rally

All the guys attending were GREAT! I don't have a bike but will soon since everyone there was good enough to let me ride theirs. Everyone was very cool and the bikes were cool enough that my wife wants one too. As soon as Quenton gives me a call I will be ready to ride................

A couple of quick ideas, first award trophies for best "vintage", and best new edition motorbikes. You can also offer awards for the longest distance traveled to the event. Swap meets also bring more to the event, because someone is always looking for a bargain, and possibly that "rare" part needed for a current project. The fast rides can be planned for trips outside the park. All of these ideas aren't mine, but are usually part of the fun at most events I attend each year. It is important to have events that inspire more to attend, and most enjoy riding [slow or fast], and a chance to win a trophy. Also many of the events setup a "Poker run", but I have never entered or even know how it works. I would also suggest at least 2 planned rides each day with a "chaser" truck following in case someone breaks down. I know we completed all the rides without any breakdowns, but we were lucky, and very seldom does that happen [some of the bikes finished with less parts than they started with, but did finish].
Backalleywheels...... You are at the top of the dealer list and will get some of the very first production models [you know, a dealer in the first state is our honor]

Looking forward to next year, and of course I will help if needed.
Have fun,
Quenton

Quenton, I'm all for that. I like the ideas of the two planned rides each day, and the trophies for the various categories (tho' I guess you'd be a shoe-in for best vintage and new edition bikes). :LOL: I'm thinking of having special t-shirts made up with something like "Lewes Motorbike Gang" on the front, with "2nd Annual Mid Atlantic Motoredbike Rally" on the back. Lots to work on, lots to think about. We need to set a weekend. You had suggested we hold the event in September, and considering the fact that we're not likely to have Indian Summer days (like the ones we enjoyed) each October, the September idea sounds very good. Holding it after Labor Day might mean better room availability as opposed to holding it sometime in June through August.
Maybe we can bribe Stude13 to drive the chaser truck for us as well...

if I could borrow a bike to ride for the weekend I'd consider comming to the second annual event.

Thanks Quenton. Where is the nearest airport. With a little planning I think this will be a really fun Vacation next year.

airport

BWI, Baltimore Washington International. Maybe someone knows a closer one but that's probably the closest one with decent prices. When you book into the smaller ones they fly you into BWI and then shuttle you into the smaller airport & the price is much higher.

BWI, Baltimore Washington International. Maybe someone knows a closer one but that's probably the closest one with decent prices. When you book into the smaller ones they fly you into BWI and then shuttle you into the smaller airport & the price is much higher.

Oddly enough, there is no regular airline service into the state of Delaware. You'd have to fly into BWI, Philadelphia or Harrisburg. If you fly into H'burg, you might be able to catch a ride to the rally with one of our PA members. Neither Jay nor I are terribly far from H'burg.

Back