Second day going to work...

RedBaronX

Local time
12:29 AM
If you have only ridden your bike for a few days, and you've only ridden to and from work once before... and if you look into your tank and think, "um, yeah, that looks like enough gas to get to work..."

you would be wrong...

I guess running out of gas for the first time in my life, doing so on an odd little home-made bike with no gas gauge doesn't make me feel like a fool... too much...

First time....Learn from it
Second time...You might be a fool
Third time....Take the motor off and use the pedals.
I hope none of us have to go there....but sometimes I think....

Yea dont feel bad ..I did that too..got into the toolbag and took that motor drive chain off..still did not like peddaling that thing home in 100 degrees

I found a gas station in about a mile, which on an out-of-the-box pedal bike would not have been so bad... but my bike weighs easily 80 pounds... and I'm dressed for motoring, not pedaling...

I was only a little more than half way to work; there's no way I would have made it pedaling all the way.

But I had to laugh at myself about it and share it with everyone else

Want a solution? Get on Ebay and order yourself an actual motorcycle tank. Way better than trying to carry around 2 cycle gas mix in a container somewhere on your bike (not recommended!)

Want a solution? Get on Ebay and order yourself an actual motorcycle tank. Way better than trying to carry around 2 cycle gas mix in a container somewhere on your bike (not recommended!)

I have a 1.8 gallon tank, but I am still in break-in, so not getting good gas mileage... by the time I started riding the other day, I probably had a gallon in it: a half dozen 5-8 mile trips around the hood, then 30 miles commuting to work Monday, and then half way to work Tuesday... the gas in there went by fast...

Like I told my son when he was riding his to work "whats so hard filling it up every other day" I have a number of 5 gal fuel containers (for my 5th wheel generator). I have one for unmixed fuel, also have a 2.5 gal we keep mixed fuel in. The fuel won't go bad for months, if that.

I ran out of gas once because instead of going straight home from work I decided to tour through the town and play in some parking lots and stuff. After that, it ran out of gas about 3 miles from the station!

As a former chopper pilot, my motto always has been "never pass up an opportunity to top off a fuel tank". I top off before every ride and carry 1/4 gallon in an MSR container with a 20:1 oil/fuel mixture. The 20:1 allows me to not have to add oil if I top off with pure gasoline at a gas station during a longer ride.

Back