Secrets of the GX35 carb explained

Yes, I believe the carburetor diaphragm or whatever has been the source of some problems with the Honda GX35, making the no-longer-manufactured Robin-Subaru EHO35 a little more reliable. I was thinking if that Honda GXH 50 which replaces the old GXH 50 has a similar carburetor to the one that is on the GX 35 now? I would not be surprised if a more current model is a little bit less reliable than the old model with more features like being able to run horizontally, vertically or upside down.

Kick is you can buy a clone carb for $10 all day long and they last at least a year.

I've noticed that for most Honda engines it's cheaper to buy a replacement carb instead of pay someone to clean your factory carb. I do my own carb jobs but it can still be expensive and time consuming. Will a ten dollar clone carb still go on a factory gas tank of that gx35?

Taking that carb apart is like working on a watch. Everything has to be perfect or no zoom zoom. $10 give me a clone that works perfectly.

The gx35 carb I tried to fix had the classic sputter no power issue. You knew it was the damn carb causing it and it was only a year or so old, sitting for months so the ethanol just had to be the culprit. Took that damn thing apart at least 5 times figuring I'm gonna fix this sucker. No such luck after trying and r@r-ing it onto the motor that many times just to find out I failed. At least half a day spent w/nuttin. Finally said F-it and ordered a clone that worked great. You need a jeweler's screw driver set and some fine cleaning tools to do it right, maybe even a carb tool set just for those carbs. You look at the carb from the outside and figure this is going to be easy peasy, well it isn't. Another word of advice, take pics as you take it apart to help put it back together each step of the way. I've rebuilt 3 or 4 carbs on my personal vehicles back in the day and none stumped me like the gx35 carb. That lil f++ker will piss you off!

I guess that I am really lucky, there is a Marathon station about a mile from my house and one pump has non-ethanol gas. It's $4.50 a gallon but that is a cheap price to pay for real gas and no problems. I live in the Florida panhandle. Art

The gx35 carb sounds much more complicated than I realized just from reading years ago. It is good to know that acetone usually helps, however I would not pour that into a large bowl or cleaner in the house or a garage with a water heater because the flash point is 0 degrees C. I think. This reminds me that when did it become so common to repair anything by throwing away the broken part and replacing that with a brand new part? Did this replace and repair method start with the invention of the Bic lighter?

Back