Securing/locking motor to bike..help

U

unlv1200

I finally have my 49cc powdercoated grubee set up good on a GT bike. I want to be able to ride it to campus without worrying that it will be stollen.

I sometimes see stripped bike frames locked to the bike racks.

Does anyone know how to secure the motor to the frame so I don't come back to find the motor missing?

Thanks

It'll take tools and time to rip off the engine. I doubt a thief has the time to do that unless it is after hours and/or dark outside (no one can see him doing his thievery).

A thief would be more included to steal the entire bike since it would probably be easier but if you insist on theft proofing the engine, I recommend you weld the bolts where they pass against the frame to the frame and tack weld the nuts to the bolts. I did this to my bike, not for theft prevention, but I got sick and tired of loose bolts and losing engine mounts from vibration. Having to pedal sucks! Haven't had a problem since I've done this.

Do you guys think that using loctite would help deter theives from stealing the motor? I mean, all it takes is 4 nuts, break off the chain, and you've got a motor.

As discussed, the #1 problem is having the frame stolen, but, if you loctite the engine on, then at least you know that the frame is going to get stolen, not the motor, and you can plan accordingly.

Suggestions?

I was wondering the same thing earlier. If I ever get mine done I want to ride it to campus but I want it to be safe.

I thought my car was safe when I locked the doors. Until somebody keyed the entire drive-side length of it. :censored: :censored:

I just wish I caught 'em doin' it,
ya know? Oh man, I'd give anything
to catch 'em doin' it. It'a been
worth his doin' it, if I coulda
just caught 'em, you know what I
mean?

-Vincent from Pulp Fiction on getting his car keyed.

Anyway, I don't think that you will ever be completely safe from getting something ripped off. I wouldn't worry too much if you were just in class. For overnight, rent a bike storage locker. That is what most of my friends did, those that had nice bikes in college. I had a piece of carp, so I just locked it outside. Had my seat stolen once. I don't know who the heck would want to steal a seat...

you could always weld some small ring type loop things so you can run another bike lock through the engine and then one through the bike.

Just a thought that way if they steal the bike It takes longer. However a cordless dremel could breach the security :(

Patch said:
you could always weld some small ring type loop things so you can run another bike lock through the engine and then one through the bike.

Just a thought that way if they steal the bike It takes longer. However a cordless dremel could breach the security :(

This is kind of where I am coming from. I figure if someone really wants to steal something, they probably will. I take my bike down to the beach just about every day to surf or bodyboard, depending on the size. I just lock my bike to a pole with a sign on it. I don't think someone would go through the trouble of bringing a cordless dremel or actually even tools. If that happens then, yeah, my loss. But it hasn't happened yet this summer. As soon as summer ends, it is back to work (I'm a teacher), so I will stop worrying about it until next summer.

If you could build up a friendship with a small diner or bookstore, and explain the problem.

a place convenient for parking the bike and locking it up, then quick release the saddle and put it under the counter or on a storeroom shelf of the diner or shop....

that would make "riding off" impossible unless they bring their own seat.

If they do that, or bring a cordless drimel, it's pre-meditated, best bet is full prosecution for grand theft - auto.

Back