Seeking a "5 hole left hand thread freewheel"

iwasgandhi

Local time
1:48 PM
I'm seeking to buy a new "5 hole left hand thread flange freewheel" for my gasoline powered Staton-inc axle mounted kit (see photo for reference). It threads onto the left side of my rear hub, which is a Staton-inc brand hub. The 5 holes on the flange are for bolting on a sprocket, such as a 60-tooth sprocket. To clarify: I'm not seeking to buy a sprocket but, rather, a 5 hole left hand thread freewheel (some might call it a clutch but Staton calls it a freewheel). It has four notches in it for using a freewheel removal tool. As of today, Jan.14, 2021, both staton-inc.com and electricscooterparts.com are out of stock of this item, and I can't find it in stock anywhere online. Thanks for any help.
20210114_160816.jpg

That’s a rare bird.

I’ve only seen one in many years.

I don’t see them advertised, only 4-hole freewheeled.

Ya might have to redrill the sprocket for a 4-hole freewheel.

What are you building?

Thanks for your reply. I'd be willing to use a 4-hole freewheel, as you kindly suggested, and redrill a 5-hole sprocket for it, but all the 4-hole freewheels for sale online are right hand threaded only, if I'm not mistaken. Please correct me if I'm wrong, because I don't want to be stranded without any new freewheels available for my ride. I've attached a couple more photos for your reference. The engine I plan to use is actually a Tanaka PF4000 40cc 2-stroke (2.2hp), not the Robin-Subaru 35cc 4-stroke pictured.

Attachments

• 20210114_173741.jpg
    20210114_173741.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 222
  • 20210114_172826.jpg
    20210114_172826.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 213
Majority of freewheels are right hand (RH).

I’ve bought left hand (LH) 4-hole freewheels on EBay.

Five-hole freewheels use M5 bolts, and 4-hole ones use larger M6 bolts.

Majority of freewheels are right hand (RH).

I’ve bought left hand (LH) 4-hole freewheels on EBay.

Five-hole freewheels use M5 bolts, and 4-hole ones use larger M6 bolts.
Thanks for the info about 4-hole LH freewheels. On ebay this evening I spotted a number of 4-hole LH freewheels for sale. However, none of the ebay listings specified the threading pitch, nor the internal diameter (see photo attached).

My Staton-inc hub needs a LH freewheel that's 1.37" x 24 TPI. Additionally, it's not clear to me, just based on the ebay photos and product descriptions, how the 4-hole LH freewheel is removed from the hub when it eventually needs to be replaced, because it doesn't appear to have any visible indentations to insert the prongs of a freewheel removal tool (again, see photo attached).

How do you remove your 4-hole LH freewheels? Do the ones you buy on ebay look different than the one in the photo I've attached?

This evening I sent a message to a seller on ebay, asking the seller for the measurements of their 4-hole LH freewheel, including the TPI. But the seller is in China and their English is poor, based on their product description, so it's not clear what luck I'll have communicating effectively with the seller. That's not a judgment, just an observation.

If you see a 4-hole LH freewheel with 1.37" x 24 TPI for sale online, and if you can provide me a link or a photo, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks

Attachments

• 20210114_204236.jpg
    20210114_204236.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 249
RH freewheels are usually from pocket bike wheels.

Both LH & RH freewheels have the same
1.37 x 24tpi.

I believe they accept sprockets having 54mm ID holes.

Installation is easy.
Removing them is VERY difficult.

It might be easier to braze a long metal bar onto the freewheel and horse it off the hub.

The 4-hole freewheels are cheap in price and quality.

RH freewheels are usually from pocket bike wheels.

Both LH & RH freewheels have the same
1.37 x 24tpi.

I believe they accept sprockets having 54mm ID holes.

Installation is easy.
Removing them is VERY difficult.

It might be easier to braze a long metal bar onto the freewheel and horse it off the hub.

The 4-hole freewheels are cheap in price and quality.
Thanks again. Very helpful info. I'm still wondering about the internal diameter of the freewheel itself (not the TPI, nor the ID of the sprockets).

I imagine the diameter of my Staton-inc hub was probably engineered to take standard-diameter freewheels, but I don't know that for certain. I've attached a screenshot of the info about my hub from Staton-inc.com

Good idea about how to remove the freewheel. I've been thinking about the following possibility:

With the wheel removed, with the tire still installed, with the 4-hole LH freewheel still threaded onto the hub, and with the sprocket still bolted onto the freewheel, drill a few holes into the freewheel (where the ball bearings and internal mechanisms are located) and then inject (or slather in) a very strong epoxy in an attempt to prevent the freewheel from spinning, let it fully cure, then drill two 1/4" holes through the sprocket (spaced approx. 7 - 8 inches apart and centered over the freewheel), then tightly clamp two 1/4" steel rods into a bench vice, spaced at the precise distance as the two 1/4" holes drilled into the sprocket, then place the sprocket (with its two 1/4" holes) on top of the 2 rods that are sticking up vertically from bench vice, then use the leverage of the entire wheel (tire still installed) to hopefully unthread the freewheel from the hub of the wheel. I'm not sure if that description is well explained or if its confusing to understand. And I realize this removal technique might not even work. I'm just trying to brainstorm possibilities.

I appreciate any feedback, info, or suggestions.

Attachments

• 20210114_203617.jpg
    20210114_203617.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 208
The freewheel‘s ID is 1:37”.
The 24tpi stands for 24 threads per inch.

I just measured my freewheel.

Coincidently, it’s my only 5-hole LH Chinese freewheel.

Sorry, I can’t part with it.

Last edited:
If you tack welded the bearing’s races and reinstalled the wheel onto the bike, you should be able to spin the freewheel off its hub.
Or maybe drill and use 4 screws to jam the races.

Back