Seeking Gasket Sheet Material for Fuel Pump Diaphragm

WZ507

Local time
10:18 PM
This isn't exactly a motorbike question but figured the 2-stroke forum would be the best place to ask. I have a small vintage Tanaka 2 stroke, circa 1970, that needs a new carb diaphragm gasket, since the existing one is like cardboard. I don't believe such a part is available any longer but figured if I could procure the correct gasket sheet stock it would be trivial to make one. Therefore, I am asking "does anyone know where such gasket sheet stock is available?" I suspect it would be a very thin nylon or aramid fiber sheet impregnated with Buna N or Viton rubber and have a thickness somewhere in the range of 0.005" to 0.015" thick. I see very thin flexible diaphragm gaskets when I purchase rebuild kits for 2 stroke carbs, but can't seem to find the same material as a bulk sheet.

I see that McMaster-Carr has something that might work, but at 1/64" thick (0.015") it sounds too heavy. Click the 1st option - "All Purpose Gaskets" for the aramid Buna N coated gasket.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#gasket-sheets/=rcstgd

I'm hoping that someone that is hip deep in 2-stroke stuff will just say, "oh yeah, that stuff is common and you can get it here". Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

In a pinch I have made gaskets out of old ice cream container/lids. Gasket paper is available from most auto parts stores. Hope that helps.

Back