Seeking the best grease

iwasgandhi

Local time
5:35 PM
I have a Staton-inc axle mounted kit and I'm looking for the best grease for my Staton-inc 4.28-1 gear reduction box. The gear reduction box bolts onto my Tanaka PF4000 40cc 2-stroke. I'm not satisfied with the performance of the grease currently sold and suggested by Staton-inc.com (Traveller's brand, NLGI 1.5, 14oz tube).

Approx 5-6 years ago, Staton-inc.com used to sell a thinner grease, blueish-green in color, called "Mobilgrease XHP 220", which Staton sold specifically for this type of gear box, but Staton no longer sell it. Instead, Staton now only sells the thicker Traveller's grease, which works but not as well as the Mobilgrease, because the Traveller's grease A) is too thick to properly vent/ooze out of the gear box's engineered vent hole (in case of overflow, and also during the break-in period), and B) tends to back up/get into the centrifugal clutch drum, which isn't good for the transmission of power.

While the Mobilgrease XHP 220 also used to get into the clutch drum area, it was thin enough, I found, that it wasn't a serious problem. Only when riding in very heavy rain did I find there was some minor, occasional slippage of the centrifugal clutch, due to the Mobilgrease XHP 220 getting into the clutch drum area, but only in very wet weather.

I'm currently planning, God willing, to soon reassemble my gear reduction box and reinstall my Staton-Inc kit on a new hard-tail MTB, so I'm hoping to find and buy a tube of Mobilgrease XHP 220 (2 or 3 ounces is all that the gear reduction box initially needs, but a 14oz or 15oz tube would be good to have for future cleanings and rebuilds). Unfortunately, the smallest quantity of Mobilgrease XHP 220 that I can find for sale anywhere is a 5 gallon pail, listed on thelubricantstore.com for approx $175 (approx $195 total w/shipping).

Of course, I could cough up $195 to buy a whopping 5 gallon pail of Mobilgrease XHP 220, but I thought it wisest to first inquire here, so as to ask for ideas and suggestions before plunking down that kinda money just for grease. Maybe someone on this site has a few extra ounces of Mobilgrease XHP 220 they could sell me? Hope so. Don't really want to spend almost $200 for 5 gallons of grease when I only need 2-3 ounces to start out with.

Another option: Staton-inc.com also suggests using a grease called "CAM2 Ultra 580 EP #1" for Staton-inc gear reduction boxes, but it's virtually impossible to find it for sale anywhere, except on Alibaba.com where there's a minimum purchase order of 17,000 lbs.That's a wee bit much.

Open to suggestions. Thank you kindly.

Any grease is better than no grease. But most use Lucas Red and Tacky High Temp Grease .

But if we are lucky @GreasyChris will chime in, this is his Wheelhouse. :LOL:
I'll look into the Lucas Red and Tacky High Temp grease you suggested. Thanks. I hope it's rated NLGI 0 or NLGI 1, to be the proper viscosity for my gear reduction box. I welcome any further ideas or suggestions, including from @GreaseyChris. Hopefully, I don't end up having to spend approx. $200 for a 5 gallon pail of Mobilgrease XHP 220.

Back