self propelled mower qeustions

D

DR.X

i had the idea of taking a drive box out of an self propelled lawn mower and hooking it to a bike a mine. Has anyone tried this and if so how well did it work?

A

andyinchville1

Anything is possible but I am not sure there is a beefy enough small mower tranny out there...I could be wrong tho....My grandfather had an old Snapper mower with a 6 speed tranny but it was friction drive so I could see that was not gonna last long....what mower were you looking at?....
Andrew

D

Dockspa1

I gotta little self propelled but there is not a lot of torque to it. Maybe a bigger one or an older one that has the side shifting gearbox, would work?

S

Scottm

You know, the new Toros have the handle serve as speed control. The harder you push, the faster it goes, but i still coudn't see it moving a bike. About all you could do I guess is remove the blade and put a fly wheel on there, but that's only one speed.
You might cold look at the way a riding mower has it's gears/drive belt setup.

M

mnbiker

I have a self propeled mower and i stood on it (240lbs.) and it pulled me and the mower. Its only 6HP and the way its inganged is a belt, so if you change the pulleys it will go quicker. You will never know unless you go for it. :)