Sent the following to the Illinois DMV

Still, I don't want to be so cautious that nothing gets done.

What I'd want is for our society to recognize any reasonable alternative to the auto.
The price to be paid for this is that those autos are going to have to slow down and share the road. This will have the effect of bottle-necking auto traffic quite a bit. And that's going to be a hard sell.

So...can it be done?

If we started writing to our state and federal legislators (and the various regulators) urging that we develop an alternative-friendly attitude (without mentioning MABs specifically), will that get us where we want to go?

(my own guess; probably, but it'll take a long time.)

Do we have other alternatives? maybe urging our states to follow Arizona's example is the better way to go. The pay-off (if we get it) would be quicker, but I'm afraid the risk is larger.

Is there a consensus on this in the MB community?

The reason that I'm a bit reluctant to petition our legislators for legal status is the fear that it might backfire on us.
If people in IL are already running into trouble, what good would it do to let cops potentially harass you??

I'm not certain that this is inevitable. In fact, my own estimate is that the chances are roughly 50-50.
It's true that Arizona, for instance, has recognized these as legitimate, road worhty vehicles. but other places might put them in the same category as go-karts, for instance. And if they do, it'll be hard to regain the lost ground.
I'd say our chances at getting every state to define a MB to our benefit is A LOT better than 50-50. Considering NY is the ONLY state that has defined MBs and specifically stated that they cannot be ridden on the streets is the one exception to the rule. After we convince the remaining 15 or 20 states to define MBs for our benefit.... then we could persuade NY that they're being a lil' silly, or maybe NYC only should have a ban.

I guarantee you, tho... if we had all the state's positions on MBs mapped out, we could have 98% of this country MB-Legal by the end of the year. The plan only backfires if you do nothing and you have a run-in with a cop that's grumpy that evening... then you get ticketed for not being up to motorcycle specs.

It's your choice, but please don't ride in NY.

We dont' seem to be having a hard time here in Illinois. I haven't and I don't think I've seen any posts from others in my state saying that they have.

Illinois seems to be MB neutral.

I guess the heart of my argument is; we'll be screwed quickly and thouroughly if we ever become perceived as a nuisance to auto traffic.

I had been pinning a lot of my hopes on high oil prices forcing things in our favor.
and maybe moderate oil prices coupled with a stagnant economy will do the same, but I'm less certain of that.

Can we make our case without getting the auto "lobby" all worked up to the point that they cut our throats? They can do it. We don't have anywhere near the support (yet) that they do.

It's not that I'm convinced that we can not make our case without inviting some sort of punishment. Let's just keep in mind, though, that the automobile still holds THE privileged position on our roads. If we are seen as being in conflict with their interests, then we will surely lose.

Riding a motor-assisted bicycle in Illinois

Hi, I'm an old time gearhead. I have liked motor-assisted bicycles all my life since I had one when I was a teenager. I could not resist buying one of those 48 cc Chinese 2-stoke bike kits. I personally think its only a matter of time before gas prices hit the roof again and people will be looking for alternate, less expensive modes of transportation. After reading the posts here, I can fully understand the frustration with the Illinois DMV as I would expect. You guys have pretty much done my homework and I thank you for that. For that matter, I think we need to escalate the visibility of MOTOR ASSISTED BICYCLES through the media, newspapers and Internet. This is a very viable economic environmentally friendly form of transportation. The fact of the matter is, nobody outside the hobby knows much about it. If there is someone in the media in Illinois reading this maybe you can help us out by doing a positive story about motor assisted bikes? I think all those pocket bikes and motorized skateboards operated by un-liscenced teenagers have given motor assisted bikes a bad name and has caused knee-jerk legislation banning them in some areas. We need to take charge and change that. People need to wake up and be heard. We need people not sheeple here. Unfortunately, now with the current economic state will will probably need to pay for this "privelage" of riding these. I don't know how to get around that. Some food for thought here.

Hi, I'm an old time gearhead. I have liked motor-assisted bicycles all my life since I had one when I was a teenager. I could not resist buying one of those 48 cc Chinese 2-stoke bike kits. I personally think its only a matter of time before gas prices hit the roof again and people will be looking for alternate, less expensive modes of transportation. After reading the posts here, I can fully understand the frustration with the Illinois DMV as I would expect. You guys have pretty much done my homework and I thank you for that. For that matter, I think we need to escalate the visibility of MOTOR ASSISTED BICYCLES through the media, newspapers and Internet. This is a very viable economic environmentally friendly form of transportation. The fact of the matter is, nobody outside the hobby knows much about it. If there is someone in the media in Illinois reading this maybe you can help us out by doing a positive story about motor assisted bikes? I think all those pocket bikes and motorized skateboards operated by un-liscenced teenagers have given motor assisted bikes a bad name and has caused knee-jerk legislation banning them in some areas. We need to take charge and change that. People need to wake up and be heard. We need people not sheeple here. Unfortunately, now with the current economic state will will probably need to pay for this "privelage" of riding these. I don't know how to get around that. Some food for thought here.

Okay...I hate to be the buzz-kill here but I will share my thoughts on this. I was one of the ones wanting to "do things right" and chanting "make them legal" and even made some attempts at doing so. After realizing it was going nowhere, I just decided to ride the thing. I have put over 400 miles on it back and forth to work last year (20 miles each way, in some of the most heavily populated suburbs of Chicago) without any incident. I did take steps to camo the engine with saddle bags (okay...panniers for you purists) and a pet screen on the back. The bags I needed to do anyway...the screen I just added to minimize the "hassle" potential. I also added a 2nd muffler to quiet it down some. I obey all the traffic laws and ride safely (on the shoulder, not in traffice when I can avoid it). In other words, I ride it exactly like I would a bicycle....after all, that's what it IS.

On to your comments. I DO agree with you that all the pocket bikes and go peds are what promted the laws against them, and most often times our bikes get lumped in with those. Having said that, I think MOST cops will look the other way when they see someone on a bicycle (motorized or not) if they are obeying the laws and not doing anything stupid. They have better things to do that pull some adult over on a bicycle, believe me. I'd ridden right past them on busy roads. Maybe I've just been lucky so far.

As far as your "economically friendly" idea....hardly! These things put out way MORE pollutants than a newer car does traveling the same distance/time.....WAY more. Hard to believe but true. So that approach will backfire on anyone who tries it.

I would recommend (and this is exactly what I have been doing) to just ride it and see if you have any issues. Honestly, if you want one in Illinois, that IS your only option anyway.

Good luck and keep us all posted. I hope my pessimism proves to be completely wrong!

Take care,

Warner

Warner, sorry. I stand to be corrected about the pollutants put out by the 2 stroke engines, I'm pretty new to this hobby but I believe the 4 stroke 50 cc engines put out far less pollutants. I know you are riding with those bags hiding your engine but in my opinion that's not something I would do. I'm an old Harley rider and I believe this country was founded on the basis of a free state. Hiding your engine from the man is just a temporary fix. Next time some f&*&khead passes some legislation to outlaw your "bags" because you may be "hiding" something like an "engine" what will you do then? They did that already with tinted side windows on cars. Nothing against your personal choice and again it is your choice not mine. People, this is supposed to be a FREE COUNTRY not a police state like Soviet Russia where almost everything was done in "stealth mode". People need to wake up. My two cents.

CC

Warner, sorry. I stand to be corrected about the pollutants put out by the 2 stroke engines, I'm pretty new to this hobby but I believe the 4 stroke 50 cc engines put out far less pollutants. I know you are riding with those bags hiding your engine but in my opinion that's not something I would do. I'm an old Harley rider and I believe this country was founded on the basis of a free state. Hiding your engine from the man is just a temporary fix. Next time some f&*&khead passes some legislation to outlaw your "bags" because you may be "hiding" something like an "engine" what will you do then? They did that already with tinted side windows on cars. Nothing against your personal choice and again it is your choice not mine. People, this is supposed to be a FREE COUNTRY not a police state like Soviet Russia where almost everything was done in "stealth mode". People need to wake up. My two cents.

CC

CC, I totally understand and agree with you conceptually. I'm interested to see how it all works out. Like others, I simply fear that if we push it, they'll just come back and say NO. I tried in my community and the only thing that started happening was "the man" became more aware that they actually ARE illegal....almost as if I was bringing it to their attention as opposed to getting anything changed. I understand the whole vigilante thing....pushing for our freedoms and what's right. I guess that's a battle for someone with a lot more time, energy, and money than me. If you're going to fight the man, you had better have deep pockets and LOTS of time. I'm just going to ride my bike until they tell me I can't...and when/if that happens, I will decide how vigorously I want to fight it.

Warner

Illinois MB law

Warner, they will start having a big antique car show in Lemont beginning the first Wednesday in June and every Wednesday night starting around 6:00 PM until the last week in August. I plan on riding my completed MB down to the show. If you are so inclined come down. The more MB's around the better, for that matter anyone else with a MB should show up. This is southwest Cook county, Lemont, Il. My MB will be bright Chevy orange with a Standard Moped gas tank, the same one Derringer Cycles uses with white tires. I don't think anyone will miss it, it should stand out like a sore thumb. But that's the idea make it "cool" to ride one. I think this is going to get interesting....LOL.

C

Warner, they will start having a big antique car show in Lemont beginning the first Wednesday in June and every Wednesday night starting around 6:00 PM until the last week in August. I plan on riding my completed MB down to the show. If you are so inclined come down. The more MB's around the better, for that matter anyone else with a MB should show up. This is southwest Cook county, Lemont, Il. My MB will be bright Chevy orange with a Standard Moped gas tank, the same one Derringer Cycles uses with white tires. I don't think anyone will miss it, it should stand out like a sore thumb. But that's the idea make it "cool" to ride one. I think this is going to get interesting....LOL.

C

CC, what do they consider "antique" and how sticky are they with the car being as it was when it rolled off the showroom floor? I have a 1968 VW beetle that's FAR from stock or stock looking....but it IS 41 years old at this point. It's powered by a flat four, air-cooled, VW engine that's bored and stroked....it's 2,276cc's, naturally aspirated (no hairdryer, thanks!), running dual Weber 48's and dyno'd at just over 200HP. (204 to be exact). It moves the 1600 pound bug with a bit or urgency. Hahaha.....

Warner

New Motorbike in Oak Lawn

Warner,

I was wondering if you have any new news regaurding your motorbike and Illinois state law. I live in Oak Lawn and so far have not have a a problem with the cops. When I see a cop I usually kill the engine and pedal until they pass and then just start er back up. I also wanted to make sure that everythign I am doing is legal since I put quit a bit of work and a decent amount of money into the bike. Before I went through the massive headache of haveing redirected everywhere I wanted to know if you have found any closure on the situation. If you know anything let me know, otherwise I'm going to start the process of trying to find an answer this weekend. Take care.

J DuB

Back