Sent the following to the Illinois DMV

It's true that Arizona, for instance, has recognized these as legitimate, road worhty vehicles...
Probably a better way to think of AZ law is that Arizona has defined MB's with motors 50cc or smaller as Bicycles, (not as a separate class of vehicle,) and all bicycle laws apply (and privileges) to them. They do specifically exclude motorized bicycles from any title/registration/insurance requirements.

Last edited:
Sorry, HybriDude... missed your post for a while.

OORRR.... we could go one step further and come up with all the states that haven't defined motorized bicycles, and then send each of their legislators a letter showing how awesome MBs are for everyone... and there only needs to be an age (16) and speed limit (25 MPH??).

If anybody has some time to spare... finding the threads where we tried to accomplish this task and adding to them would definitely be helpful to many on this site and would-be MBers as well.
Did anyone ever do as you suggested?
Of course not. We (as Americans) are too lazy to be activists. There are still grassroots activists around, aren't there? :(

hoping

any day now i hope it passes i looked today and still it says sent to governor, on June 5th. I have not had any issues with local cops they have seen me and watch me go on by. i live in East Alton Il

I found it.....

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/fulltext.asp?Name=096-0125

Looks like it got "clipped" a little bit with the 1hp max - and 20mph was always in there, but that's a bit disappointing too. Nevertheless, I'll take it! We can always argue "nuances" with officer friendly if need be. My guess is they won't hassle us unless we are acting like idiots.

Warner

Last edited:
I just had a sobering thought...

I just had a sobering thought though.....this law doesn't protect us from any local ordinances that specifically outlaw them......

Warner

Back