Sent the following to the Illinois DMV

yeah ur right but my local cops here in east alton has pass me on, last week i was at a stop light with one and he ask how i was

Print off the law, carry it with you.

Possibly, try to head off any issues by sending an email to the town councils involved, with a link to the new law, asking them to adjust their ordinances to match the new state law.

It's a good day in Illinois! Or, at least, January 1 will be.

I suppose local ordinances could be written against these bikes. But I'm willing to bet that most localities won't bother.

It's a good day in Illinois! Or, at least, January 1 will be.

I suppose local ordinances could be written against these bikes. But I'm willing to bet that most localities won't bother.

Most of the towns around me (including mine) already HAS ordinances against them. Whether or not they are rigorously enforced is debatable...as I rode my bike to work and back (20 miles each way) about 10 times last year without any trouble...and yes I did see plenty of cops and I'm sure that at least as many saw me.

Warner

Print off the law, carry it with you.

Possibly, try to head off any issues by sending an email to the town councils involved, with a link to the new law, asking them to adjust their ordinances to match the new state law.

That's a good suggestion.

Warner

Hey you guys, thanks for the info on this. My son moved to Chicago last May and has been trying to figure out a better way to get around the neighborhoods and to work. He just moved again and is farther from work and it takes him twice as long on the subway. I suggested a bike or motorized bike but he was hesitant since he didn't know the law. Looks like that might be a good choice for him.

Here's my problem. I just purchased a gigabyke groove scooter/ ebike. It is an electric scooter with pedals that can only go up to 20MPH. The Illinois law mentions ALL scooters and mopeds with pedals require a license and registration . However also mentions 20 to 30 MPH. My Ebike that looks like a scooter only goes up to 20 MPH but I'm concerned about what they would classify my vehicle as because it is both. I suppose my concern is really about police thinking I need plates when in fact I may not because it technically is considered an electric bicycle by only going 20MPH. There's that fine line of legality between the two I have no real answers on.

In Illinois, in order to be a motor vehicle, it has to be able to push off from a dead stop by engine power alone. If it is not defined as a motor vehicle for this reason, no license or insurance is required. It may still be usable on public roads as a motorized bicycle. I looked at the stats and pictures of this device online and it is a good looking piece of equipment. The law was probably written years ago as a go around to allow gas motorized Whizzers to be allowed on the roads; which needed to be pedaled from a dead stop. E-bikes do not fit the go around. I hope you are not in a never never land between the laws. The bike looks as if it was intended to have all the street legal motor driven cycle equipment and be licensed. As a rule of thumb the police seem to be half influenced by the specifications of the law and half based on what it looks like. If it looks like it was intended to have plates, then they expect to see plates. The easy way out may be to make it street legal if the seller can provide a VIN or a certificate of origin. If so a company like Geico may able to provide insurance for like $80 per year as I have seen quoted for Whizzers with VIN's. I don't believe Illinois has moped plates so the only available option may be a motor driven cycle plate with the operator needing a motor driven cycle license. I suppose a plan b option is to always be seen using pedals when pushing off from a dead stop before using the motor. It may work but it would be a pain and it may be challenged as being a motorized bicycle because it does not look like a bicycle. I would agree Illinois law is behind the times with environmental and resource issues looming. I wish you the best. Also I am not an expert on the law and these are my opinions.

After thinking about the Divvy bike system the city of Chicago supports as part of its public transportation system to get around in the heaviest of downtown traffic, I could go on to add the Gigabyke is not much different. The Gigabyke looks like an improvement. Chicago must be happy with the Divvy system since it appears to be expanding the program. If renting these heavy step through pedal only bikes are desirable in downtown loop traffic; there should be not objections the the Gigabyke also riding alongside the big CTA buses at similar speeds.

Here's my problem. I just purchased a gigabyke groove scooter/ ebike. It is an electric scooter with pedals that can only go up to 20MPH. The Illinois law mentions ALL scooters and mopeds with pedals require a license and registration . However also mentions 20 to 30 MPH. My Ebike that looks like a scooter only goes up to 20 MPH but I'm concerned about what they would classify my vehicle as because it is both. I suppose my concern is really about police thinking I need plates when in fact I may not because it technically is considered an electric bicycle by only going 20MPH. There's that fine line of legality between the two I have no real answers on.
There is no grey area or fine line here, your Gigabyke Groove is a Low Speed Electric Bicycle (or E-Bike) plain and simple. It is not a Scooter or a Moped and it is not a Motor Vehicle, regardless of whether you don't have to pedal away from a dead stop.

Police Officers can "Think" whatever they want same as they can Ticket you for whatever they want, however at the end of the day it doesn't change the law.

Illinois Electric Bicycle Laws

(625 ILCS 5/1-140.10 new)
Sec. 1-140.10. Low-speed electric bicycle. The term
"low-speed electric bicycle" has the same meaning ascribed to
it by Section 38 of the Consumer Product Safety Act (15 U.S.C.
Sec. 2085).

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/fulltext.asp?Name=096-0125

‘‘LOW-SPEED ELECTRIC BICYCLES
‘‘SEC. 38. (a) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, low- speed electric bicycles are consumer products within the meaning of section 3(a)(1) and shall be subject to the Commission regulations published at section 1500.18(a)(12) and part 1512 of title 16, Code of Federal Regulations.
‘‘(b) For the purpose of this section, the term ‘low-speed electric bicycle’ means a two- or three-wheeled vehicle with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts (1 h.p.), whose maximum speed on a paved level surface, when powered solely by such a motor while ridden by an operator who weighs 170 pounds, is less than 20 mph.
‘‘(c) To further protect the safety of consumers who ride low- speed electric bicycles, the Commission may promulgate new or amended requirements applicable to such vehicles as necessary and appropriate.
‘‘(d) This section shall supersede any State law or requirement with respect to low-speed electric bicycles to the extent that such State law or requirement is more stringent than the Federal law or requirements referred to in subsection (a).’’.
SEC. 2. MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS.
For purposes of motor vehicle safety standards issued and enforced pursuant to chapter 301 of title 49, United States Code, a low-speed electric bicycle (as defined in section 38(b) of the Consumer Product Safety Act) shall not be considered a motor vehicle as defined by section 30102(6) of title 49, United States Code.

https://www.congress.gov/107/plaws/publ319/PLAW-107publ319.pdf

Last edited:
Back