Serious Light Frustration!

C

Charlie

Hi All,
OK, so I am really frustrated with trying to use the 6volt generator on my 80cc Chinese. I have tried several different lights, tried making my own LED light, I even bought the smallest 6volt motorbike headlight I could find, but nothing works. As soon as I throw the switch to turn the lights on, my engine dies. I've expended a significant amount of $$ now trying to get something that will work that is run off the generator. Do any of you have any info/specs/tips about this? Is the 6volt generator for lights just a gimick? I plan to use the bike this summer to do some semi-extended tours. I would like to use the bike's power as I could avoid adding more weight for a battery & so I don't have to recharge. Any information or insight welcome.
Charlie

I'll bet the LED lights aren't working because they are diodes which short the ignition. You might be able to make one work if you put a resistor in the circuit.

For my light I use a $10 light/generator kit I bought at Target. Threw away the generator and tail light and just used the headlight connected to the kill switch wire. Works good. The tail light also worked but vibrated apart so I use a battery powered LED tail light which lasts forever on a AAA cell.

Moth

Details

Hi,
Thanks for the post. I bought a bicycle bullet generator light to start with and it functioned fine except that the light it omitted was far to dim to be of practical use.
So I figured I would modify it with different bulbs/LEDs. I went out bought some different bulbs ranging in brightness and amps. I tried several including bulbs from a Mag-Lite, but still not bright enough to see anything before you hit it!.
Then I got one of these big LED clusters (about 10-12) and gutted the bullet light and rewired the whole thing. It too functioned, and though it produced a lot of visible light, it still did not light the road any better.
Finally, I went to every motorcycle place in town and finally found one that could order me a 5" 6volt motorbike headlight in a Bullet style housing. Looked fantastic on the Bike! But that one kills the engine everytime I switch it on. Such are my frustrations.
Does the Generator bike light you have actually make good light? I'm willing to try it if so.
Charlie

a standardized and reliable lighting system to match the chinese engine has surely been an elusive aminal...i can't wait til the day someone comes up with something.

The headlight that was part of the generator kit doesn't make a lot of light. There's just not enough current produced by the coil to make much light. Only way I know of to get good light is use batteries or a rub on tire generator.

Moth

The real problem is that the engine only kick out 3 watts. You can run a couple of lights that will let you be seen but if you want something so you can see up the road get a 12 volt rechargeable battery and a pair of driving lights. A 7 AH battery seems to do a good job giving about 1 hr of bright light. Run one of those off the battery when you need to see ahead like a high beam. Run the 6 volt head light and tail light off the engine to be seen. That is the best method I have found so far. I even stuck the bulb from the 6v light in the second driving light to get a matched set.

lights

that white wire is a teas as far as a ligh power sorce I tried several types of lights and even invested in a generator light but still did not give me what I needed so I checked into a 12 volt battery for min bikes and a head light system now I have a bright light that I can see with and can be seen for several hours rather than 20 min. I even now have a trickel charger set up on my bike so that the battery will not run down.

Around here we have a lot of back roads with not street lights and I NEEDED to see the road.

Cookie

Headlight problem

Go with a 7.5v .5 amp bulb. Put your spark plug gap down to around 12 or 10 thousands. Since the headlight drains so much power from the mag, you will need a smaller gap for the CDI to jump. Also..Try getting a 5 led headlamp and put in Nicads, use the white wire off the mag through a full wave that zener voltage regulator to keep you nicads charged for night usage. Also.You can buy a Generator that rubs on your tire, put that AC through a Zener circuit and use that to keep your nicads charged. So..There are a bunch of options for you..Thanks..And..Enjoy the ride.

Back