Serious question about Chinese engine kits ??????

P.S., do NOT get Loctite on anything smokeable...it will cause severe death or at least harmful sickness.

many many miles on sabrina...everything on my engine uses one nylock nut, period. it's right & tight, no leaks or rattles, and nothing's needed retightening in several hundred miles, tho i still do perform pre-flight checks to be on the safe side 8)

i never knew the reason behind why locktite shouldn't be used, but i've always wanted to inform the newbie that it surely isn't necessary...there, now i have :p

Thanks a bunch for fully explaining your viewpoint, Dax. You do make some excellent points....and I tend to agree with you that Locktite, in the wrong hands, can be a bad thing (much like a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous). I guess we should be more clear here on what product we're referring to, as Locktite is merely one of probably several companies that produce thread retaining compound.....and not all Locktite products are thread retaining products (I have a couple different types of Locktite brand Never Seize). I do use the thread retaining stuff on many applications, including my engine mount studs and intake manifold nuts...but I don't use it on the head bolts or exhaust studs (it wouldn't make much sense because there is so much heat in those areas that the "Locktite" would not accomplish anything). The important thing is to use the right strength of "Locktite" and the proper amount for the application.....and when it comes time for disassembly, one must keep in mind that with thread retaining goop applied, it's not always as easy as putting a wrench to the nut or bolt and loosening it because you could quite easily end up breaking the nut or stud. I always apply a little bit of heat directly to the bolt (small torch works great, but be careful if there's any gas or oil residue in the vicinity). The heat will loosen the "locktite's" bond and allow you dismantle it. It takes very little heat to loosen up the blue stuff, and just a bit more to melt away the red. And while I get the gist of why you recommend that people not familiar with Locktite probably should avoid using it on their engines, I think owners of these motorized bikes should strongly consider using it on many of the bicycle chassis fasteners. Gee, I didn't think my little comment would generate this much discussion. Perhaps this should all be moved to the technical information thread? Or can we use Locktite on those kind of threads?....lol

Pete

One more thing I forgot to mention about Locktite. No matter how careful you are, you're gonna get some of it on your fingers when you use it. Wash it off really thoroughly before indulging in finger foods such as potato chips or chicken wings.....cause if you get a taste of that stuff, you will think castor oil tastes great in comparison. And, like everything else nowadays, it probably causes cancer too.

Lotsa_mpg air gives you cancer!

I do like nylock nuts they are awesome but there is some places there is no way to use them. However those are few and far between so just do preflight check no problemo!

make or brake gamble

I bought a Dax's engine. I praised it in one post. I was a bit fast with my kindness.

First, the engine came damaged. I told the seller and was told no problem.

Second, the float had hole. Leaking out side of carb.

Third, the gas tank has a leak at the weld at the front left mount bolt.

Fourth, I blew a piston head in 219 miles. Have pictures to show good oil in crank. Seller told me 7oz for first tank gal and 3 1/2 for the second gal tank. I went 4oz for the second tank. So I know I was within oil range. I went back and over and over and no way was I wrong on oil. I have pictures of crank and oil is all over.

I've been reading the post and very few get by without some sort of major repair in the breakin period. Take a look. Not me doing all the post. I don't blame Dax's Beyond the poor shipping. It seems to be a every day worry what is to brake today.

Looking for a motor? Save a few hundred more and buy something you can perhaps trust. Want to fiddle with the engine every day? This is the engine to get.

When running the engine is great as I have posted earlier. I ride to work in the early AM and need to be able to trust my ride.

I say read the post on this site first. Get a feel for the word being told. May it lead you in the way to go.

Just to unback up the theory of using red locktite on everything. I have worked as a tool and die man as well as industrial maintenance for over 27 years and the absolute only time to use red locktite is on something that you will also be using a torch on until it is red hot to remove it.
As far as blue locktite goes, with age it becomes just as brittle as red and you have the same problem but, after we found a liquid with strong bond qualities and easy removal qualities, we used it only on tough vibration conditions. So now with no further ado I would like to intoduce you to fingernail polish and only a drop or two.
You will find it works awesome everywhere except when the heat is a factor. You can also use fingernail polish remover to track down to the threads if it gives you some problems.
No, I am not a cross dresser but I don't cross threads either!
Ha! Ha!
Thats my 3.95 cents worth.
PS. If you don't want to be seen buying nail polish just swipe a little from the old lady. Oops, I mean lovely wife.

Dockspa1 wrote:

You can also use fingernail polish remover to track down to the threads if it gives you some problems.
:D :D :D

Whoola. Comment of the day. The week possibly.

MUCHOS APPRECIAONES DOCK ~!!!

In fact, I will proudly BUY the 6 colors closest to my Sun Cruisers, that might even make for a combo touchup paint. :cool:

Back