Setting up R/S35

Hive had an idea, and that could be read for one way of connecting to the exhaust....

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=5871

The JetPro pictured below only requires swapping out the machine bolt on the cover for a longer one to hold the brace, and if the person is ABSOLUTELY sure they like the effect, put a dab of that "Welder in a Tube" type stuff on the muffler/exhaust connection, let it sit 24 hours to cure.

Attachments

• bikes 019.jpg
    bikes 019.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 283
Larymore, if I may post on your thread, starrman mentioned the fuel bottles. I use two 22oz that I strap in my front basket. You may need to engineer a spout for your bottles or carry a funnel of some sort. I don't myself so I spill a bit of gas but am thinking of using garden hose connections. Thats not my original thought, borrowed it off the gebe site.

Probably silly, but. Did you shift the axle as far to the left as you could? Can't tell from the picture, but it looks like you may have some extra room on the right?
Feel stupid posting this, you and Bama probably know a lot more about what you're doing than I do.

Lots of good help !

Thanks guys for your ideas! I am going to work on the side bracket today...I am adding a 12" piece of flat steel stock across the side of my left engine support leg..it will look like a cross...and then a piece from the end to the bottom of the leg for support...for a saddle bag/basket....like Hives here
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=5562&highlight=bracket

I'm still thinking about the muffler thing and the fuel thing....There is no room to add anything to the axle Alaskavan...thats why I mounted the support on the frame.....so much to do and limited $$$$.
Lars

The muffler thing...

Just got off the phone with Dina at Jetpro in CA and he said he cant do a muffler for the robin engines and only wanted to do wholesale because of tax reasons. He said Dennis at GEBE wasn't willing to send him an engine ..although other people send him $3-$5000 engines with no problems (Needed to manufacture the silencer / muffler) without buying it ...so he just decided to stop doing them for individuals....he sounded a little frustrated... So ...if I want a muffler for my robin I need to send him an engine and buy at least ten and be a distributor. Guess I'll go back to the drawing board and see what I can come up with on my own. :???:

So ...if I want a muffler for my robin I need to send him an engine and buy at least ten and be a distributor. :???:

I don't know if this helps you, but Robin makes a muffler for the R/S 35 (EHO35). It would *probably* also fit on the 25cc. The Robin part number for the muffler is 593-30060-00. Unfortunately, you can only view this part on the Robin site if you have a dealer login!

I ordered this muffler from my local Robin dealer, but it hasn't come in yet. I'm not expecting very much, since it's only $20.00. You can find Robin dealers near you here:

http://www.subarupower.com/sales/dealer.lasso

-Sam

Sos!!

Ok everyone...I SHOULD know better...maybe I should....
I went through this last year etc.
I have already vented to SAM so I plan to try and stay on topic!

Problem 1.
Does anyone make an 8 inch axle?
If so, who makes it & where can I purchase one ASAP?
That is how much room/play you need to make the GEBE system work!
& there is never enough play to had!
One can always use a little left over room mounting a GEBE system....IMO!

I THOUGHT I had enough room.....everything was great bolting/tourqing the right side (OF THE ENGINE BRACE/BRACKET/SUPPORT/MOUNT) to the axle.......but
on the left I have either "crossthreaded' the axle.....or there is just not enough room for the nut to "bite" or really tighten.

Everything lined up great before I decided to "tourqe" both sides down.

It will snug "some".....but at one point it starts to loosen again.
It seems & gives you the impression that is going to tighten but at one point it just gets loose & you have to throw that nut away.

Bama', are you out there!!!???
On to my 4th attempt as we speak.
The nut STAYS on, but the brace has movement or "play" in it.
That is NO GOOD!
Good Lord, Why do I OVERTIGHTEN THINGS?????

Larymors setup looks nice (WAY TO GO LARYMOR!!)
but I'll have to wait for my Dad to get home to pull that off.
I anger & get frustrated too easily in this heat.
The way I run my air conditioning, you could hang meat & I ain't kidding!!
(plus, I don't have the proper stands or equipment to do it alone....I'll need some help)

Thats why I suggested to Sam in a PM that GEBE ought to give you the option of shipping them your bike of choice (with their approval) & (for a price) they install their system on it for you & ship it back.

I got that idea when Sam said "why don't they just sell bikes with engines installed" or something like that.
I would not mind that either!
But they don't & won't & that is not an option & I digressed WHEW!! SORRY!!

2nd problem....
DOES OR HAS ANYONE OUT THERE EVER HAD TROUBLE WITH A MOUNTAIN BIKE TIRE'S NUBS (or whatever you want to call them) RUBBING THE GEBE"S BELT??

Well, I ALWAYS HAVE!
I thought because of a deformed tire on the Ross bike...that was the problem.
SO, My Dad just "sanded" or used some tool to eliminate the bumps or "nubs" on the belt side of the tire....PROBLEM SOLVED!!

Well, with this new bicycle I encountered the same problem with the belt hitting the portrusions on the mountain bike tire!

So I said...."enough of this! I am going to buy a thinner tire & eliminate this problem!!"
So I went to my local "high dollar" bike shop and purchased a kevlar tire & even paid em' 5 dollars to put it on the rim & air it up for me.

(I know....a stupid waste of cash...but I get SO FRUSTRATED & my bike has been down over a week & I just wanted to get MOVING!!!......my Waist is moving the wrong way also from next to no cardio workout!!)

Anyway IT WORKED!!!
Perfect alignment & everything was great until......I realized this tire was "shorter" than the "mountain tire" & when I turned sharp my pedals rub the pavement or earth etc.

Any cure for this problem?
Do I just "EAT" the high dollar cost of the tire & throw it away or can I put it on the front & restore some order??

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Starrman15

J&B Importers is VERY stingy with their catalogs, then when I go out to the shop to look for my only copy in the early a.m., I come back full of those spider threads they throw up every nite....and no catalog.

There IS a maximum length on axles (which my WheelMasters have), doing the googlesearch on it, it gets converted to the dreaded metric, so I don't know the specifics.

http://www.google.com/search?source...GLD:2005-02,GGLD:en&q="axle"length+bike+wheel

Before settling on replacing all the back wheels I work on, I was looking for an axle "extender" for one side, to put a training wheel on, and there IS such a thing in that catalog (which I can't find this early a.m.).

A machine shop or somebody with a tap and die set could probably rethread that axle, so you could use it one more time.

Once you have things lined up (spokering misses the frame, tire misses the belt, belt is centered in the small gear) put a splash of fingernail polish on the axle, snug the nut up firmly, then leave it be.

That's another reason I attempt to "flat proof" my rear wheels, so a customer won't have to bother with those tricky alignments.

I mentioned above, or somewhere in one of these threads, how much more fun it's gonna be when more GEBE'rs get on board, and realize that the very same little frustrations you guys are having, I already did.

The "idea" in the back of my mind is to eventually get enough experienced GEBErs to make a step by step procedure to do the infinite number of bikeframes that pop up here with questions.

When you build that first one successfully, you can show others how to do it, and IF you wanted to help guys install a kit in your neighborhood, you could buy the engines in bulk, maybe make a $100 per install.

A guy in Truth or Consequences is about to do his install, and the only way I can give advise is for him to do my $85 wheel/tire/tube upgrade, no matter what kind of bike he chooses.

For GEBE prospects, the perfect bike is 7 speeds, even with cruiser tires it will pull a trail.

BUT- and heres the big secret !! It's a hobby, soon to be a sport when the races get started. My neighbors locked outbuilding got burglerized, 8 fishing poles worth $1,800, with two other piles of poles of lesser value sitting right there.

Fishing as a hobby is mighty expensive, or archery or bowhunting, just because you gotta a string and a stick, you won't catch anything without patience.

This GEBE "hobby" costs about $850-1,000 to start, bike/upgrades and engine, to get done right. If you get others involved locally, you can buy the lowest priced bike stand via your bike shop, for $120.

In other words, a younger person is going to have to save up a little coin to get involved, have access to about $100 basic metric tool set.

You need that $20 fancy/foldup allencrewdriver set the bikeshop has on the wall.
You need that fancy socket to take off sprocket/cassettes.

Watch a bike repairman, you need the basic tools, because the bike is twice the headache of the engine.

You need ultra-communication skills, (i just wing it), both to describe the exhileration and possibilities (and these pesky problems).

I'll give you an example- all you guys using mountain bikes with slivers for saddles- Rocinante, with all her tire modifications, can climb most any dirt trail, go a mile or two on a steeeeep upgrade. Me walking beside her, thumb on the throttle, carrying 50 pounds of gear, but remember the cowboy pictures, thats how you get a horse across a ridge or over a creek.

When the invasion comes or floods arrive, (whichever conspiracy you subscribe to), when the s**t floats", meet me up on the high ground !

But Rocinante's front wheel bearings are loose, gotta think about that. There may be a limit to what the stock FRONT can do, this one has over 6,000 miles on it, but is still pointing forward.

I put "The Wheel" by the GratefulDead (tm) as my signature, (have to click off the dam*n default every reply), but the signature pretty much sums up the main forum advise I can offer.

Back