Shift Kit Questions Before I get started

lhaake0408

Local time
4:03 AM
I have a couple of questions about the shift kit. I plan on building a motorized bike and I have a bike with a proper sized/shaped frame, and the frame is very strong and sturdy. I want my motorized bike to have a shift kit, but the bike I have currently have, has no shifting gear system. What do I need to purchase to make my motorized bike shiftable? I plan on purchasing a shift kit from sickbikeparts.com. I looked into a NuVinchi hub but I'm not sure how it works, and also it looks a little pricey. Can someone please help me?

The Nuvinci hub is a brilliant system (and in my opinion the best system out there) but it can't take the stress of a motorized application; blowing itself to pieces; puking grease for 50 yards in every direction.

To make your bike "shiftable", you will need a rear wheel that's designed to accept an 8 speed cassette, then you will need an appropriate derailleur, like a SRAM X5 and a proper shifting mechanism like a SRAM X7 grip shift; mounted on the left hand side of the handle bars.

Depending if you are climbing steep hills or pulling heavy loads, you will need to set up the freewheel bearing with a dual range sprocket arrangement, operated by the front derailleur.

My advise is to get the Deluxe shift kit which contains the White Industries heavy duty freewheel bearing. The standard freewheel bearing isn't worth a crumpet, nor would i even use it as a fishing weight.
The Deluxe kit works out to be an economical investment because it gives you a lot of stuff for your money, and you get quality upgrades, and it contains many useful and essential tools for servicing and maintaining your bike.

Last edited:
Thanks for getting back to me so soon Fabian, do you know of any websites that sell high quality 8 speed cassette, high quality derailleur and high quality shifting mechanisms.

You can also use an internally geared hub, which most often contains a coaster brake and never requires a derailleur. You must be very careful to never shift under power when using an internally geared hub, or the planetary gears inside will grind themselves to pieces. You will want to do some research on which internally geared hub can take the stress, there are some who have used them and can recommend one. Ask forum member kcvale, I'm sure he can recommend something. You will also want to make sure you maintain it very well, servicing the hub every 300 to 500 miles. It may be a little pricey and possibly even more costly than a freewheel cassette, but you won't have to spread the frame. A beach cruiser frame may not be able to accept a cassette without spreading. But it should accept an internally geared hub no problem.

ThankYou!-1 more Question

Thanks for the advice. Does anybody know of a particular mountain bike manufacturer/model that is very strong and sturdy and perfect for engine/shift kit?

For what you will spend on another bike, you can get an internally geared hub and have a less complicated setup. Your choice. I can't recommend a mountain bike, though. I'm cruiser all the way.

Blackjack4s.jpg
I built "Blackjack" early last year with the Nuvici 3 speed hub but, I only had about 80 miles on it before it was stolen. I'm gathering parts right now to build another very similar to it " The Blueberry" (including a good chain and lock) and will keep you posted as to the longevity.
The Blueberry.jpg

Thanks for getting back to me so soon Fabian, do you know of any websites that sell high quality 8 speed cassette, high quality derailleur and high quality shifting mechanisms.

If you are going to purchase a shift kit, you might as well get the other items from SickBikeParts:

http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=95&osCsid=rfh70ruskendattkfgo44s6bf0

http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=98&osCsid=rur3oqf8fqfeo36pp4tsvhap75

My personal preference is the 1:1 ratio SRAM X7 Grip Shifter over the MRX Grip Shifter. Make sure you order the "8 speed" version, because a lot of places have the default setting listed as 9 speed.

http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/sram-x-7-mtb-twist-shifter.html

My rear derailleur preference is a 1:1 ratio SRAM X5 long cage, designed to take up larger levels of chain slack, and it gives you the option of using a dual range front chainring setup, for serious hill climbing ability or serious pulling power should you tow heavy loads.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/drivetrain/derailleur/sram/x5-rear/prd_416273_116crx.aspx

Does anybody know of a particular mountain bike manufacturer/model that is very strong and sturdy and perfect for engine/shift kit?

My only advise is to get a base model bike with front suspension as well as front and rear disk brakes, then upgrade the front disk to a Hayes 9" disk rotor and Avid BB7 caliper.

Ensuring that the bike stops safely and rapidly is far more important than making it go.

Back