ship or fly with bike?

ridercam

Local time
7:26 PM
I have a serious bug to take my motor bike on some international adventures.

Does anyone here fly with their bike or do you/ would you ship and pick up. My goal is ride my bike in Australia in two months and maybe Europe in the summer...

Good question. Ive thought about shipping my bike out to the ocean park rally to a member, then hopping a plane to catch up with it. Its a bummer sitting here seeing how much fun everyone has. I never thought about having it on the same airplane with me.

I dont think airlines would let you fly a bike with an engine and any trace of gas.

prepped to fly

If it has no fuel and arrives in a bike bag.... then it is a bike. Release the air out of the tires and turn the bars... I think you are good to go.

I have read that many airlines treat bikes as luggage thus the bikecrate or commercially available travel bike bag. Some will charge fees for oversized - but atleast your bike is with you.

taking your love places

The man/bike love affair can continue in some romantic places or perhaps for your long weekend island getaway. The best part is you could have a beautiful threesome with your significant other too!

Actually from what I gather I think FAA regs you have to box the bike and from what I read about backpackers and stoves fuel bottles and fuel anything on an airliner are a big no no. Interesting idea though

Flying with an outfit? Dunno about that.
I was thinking about visiting my sister in TX and taking a Greyhound with a Dahon folding bike in a hardcase and a Robin friction drive in a toolbox that fits with a couple of basic tools.
Just to have some something to putt around with when I got there.

Back