Shipping a bike

ghosteh

Local time
9:55 AM
Does anyone have any experience shipping an older bike? I found one that would be ideal for my MB project, but the guy who has it isn't too keen on shipping. It's a very heavy bike (1930's), and my first thought was UPS. The seller isn't in a very populated area, so he might not have access to any oddball shippers.

What's the best way to pack & ship, estimated cost from east coast to midwest, and who would you recommend as the shipper?

I'm literally guessing, but maybe $100-150 for packing & shipping?? Am I way off base?

I recall a member or two here recommending Greyhound Bus Freight as the cheapest way to ship a bike, can't say exactly but it was a very modest flat rate.

For shipping bikes, go to a bike shop and get a box, they usually are happy to get rid of them, then remove the handle bars and stem, the pedals and front wheel.

I would bet that it would cost about $100 to ship a bike-- it's heavy, it's big, it's oddball. If he lives in a smaller community, if there is a bike shop, maybe they would help him, for a fee (on top of the actual shipping charge), get the bike packed up and shipped?

Back