Shipping Woes - Taken For A Ride

she was trying to pocket the difference. or she was an embittered no-end job worker. But my money's on her planning to refund it to herself if she lied about it even being on the truck. q

You know, you should really forward your story to UPS corporate. They need to know when there's a problem with the customer service in one of their stores. WHo knows - they might refund your shipping charge because she was being such a PITA.

...I can't believe my package grew!...

I think she may have added those few inches to try and stiff me...but it didn't add up enough with the shorter box....

:cool:

That's what she said..

Last edited by a moderator:
I am the shipping manager where I work and deal with UPS everyday. Our driver is great and I've know him for the 13 years I've worked here. He would go miles out of his way to deliver a package that didn't belong on his truck instead of report it, send it back and charge the customer the correction fee. He's rare.
In the lady's only defense, if she didn't measure the bike at 29.5, the auditers down the line will. She will then be chewed out for charging you less than she should have. If she had been kind enough to tell you that I'm sure you would have understood.
They have auditers along the conveyer pulling off random packages to ensure the proper weight and size was billed. Unless of course you say it was 10 lbs and it was only 5, they won't correct that.
You would not believe how many people in the world do not know their own zip code. When UPS corrects a zip code or any address, I get billed $5. That's why companies add shipping charges on top of freight costs. My monthly bill usually has about $25 in correction fees.
I ship to construction sites quite a bit. If the ground is muddy or the person who the package is directed to, isn't standing by the front door, they drive right on by and return the package as no such address. Thus I have to pay the return charges.

If UPS screws up I have to fill out 4 pages of info and fax it back and wait 2 billing cycles for any update. When you call 1-800-PICK UPS. You are not talking to UPS, you are taking to an angency hired by UPS, so it's usless to yell at them or ask for their super cause they don't have a clue, they are just looking at what you see on UPS.com.

Hi Scott,

I do a lot of shipping - both at work (Fed Ex) and in my personal life (mostly Fed Ex and USPS). At work I am shipping technology items (returns of dead equipment that was replaced under warranty) that are no longer working - it is usually smaller in size - motherboard, raid controller, hard drive, etc - the company just happens to have a Fed Ex account so we don't use another shipper.

In my personal life I have sold some of my firearms online via Gunbroker.com - and here in KS the only shipper that will ship firearms is Fed Ex - it has to go Priority Overnight. And I also sell random odds and ends on eBay where I was using UPS all of the time - but I have had a number of good that arrived on the other end (as well as on my end) from UPS that were broken - some boxes actually had shoeprints on them like they were stepped on.

I only used UPS this time because the shipping quote was so inexpensive compared to Fed Ex and USPS - although DHL was reasonable too.

Not sure if it is this way all over - but UPS Stores are independantly franchised. And I do realize that they have to go by what they measure - but the package was over by .5" at one end - it was dead on at the other end. I could have walked over to the package and just pushed down on it enough to slightly buckle the cardboard and make it an even 29" all the way across -

To top it off, she told me that evening I brought it in that the reason it was $104 instead of the $37 quote I got online was because the value was $500 and anything over $100 goes up in price. However that was not the case - in looking at the receipt they charged me more to ship THEN they tacked on a $50 large package fee - so either she was lying to me or she does not know her business - I tend to believe it was the latter.

So the next day I get treated like I am a PITA - and I realize no one here knows me - but I am a very down to Earth guy - pretty quiet but congenial and polite. I was completely self effacing, apologetic and thankful to her the entire time - but she was just angry and upset that I even questioned the shipping fee - even to the point to tell me my package was already gone (when I could see it behind her) and then to tell me that the manufacturer's box dimensions that are printed on the outside of the box are not the outside dimensions but the inside dimensions. I almost asked her why then were the external measurments for length and width exactly what was printed on the outside of the box - only the height was greater by .5" - which I know is my fault.

I guess I just didn't appreciate the fact that she seemed so inconvenienced and then rude by my request to refund it and allow me to modify it so I could save $60+ dollars - and after all of my efforts she tacked on 2 extra inches to the length of the box - changed it from 55" to 57" - I just trimmed across the top - I did nothing to the length - amazing how my box grew. So it was either she miskeyed, she did it on purpose, she doesn't know how to measure, or her tape measure was a factory second and starts at inch number 2....

Ok, enough about this little adventure. It happened - it's done - but the refund has not showed up on my debit card - but the first $104 showed up the same day (online) and the charge from yesterday for the new shipping cost showed up within 30 minutes online - perhaps refunds take longer - but I will be monitoring to see if it really went through!

Oy - it continues to get better and better....

The bike was packaged very soundly. I used a cruiser box - pretty heavy duty directly from the bike shop. I bubble wrapped and taped up the painted surfaces. I stuffed in padding and such to make sure there was little to no wiggle room - all items that were removed (fender, seat, pedals) were wrapped securely in bubble wrap as well.

The bike arrived today - it just had to go one state away - and here is what the buyer wrote me tonight:

"Hi Matthew,

It made it, but it did not hold up well in shipping. Lost some paint on most of the parts, packing was roughed up, box got punctured a bunch...it's sad. I will give you a call 04-25 Friday or you can give me a call at xxxxxxxxxx to see what we can do."

How the box got "roughed up" and "punctured a bunch" is beyond me. It makes me feel like they did this on purpose.

Back