Shipping Woes - Taken For A Ride

This definitely needs to be reported to UPS. You should ask them to investigate a possible case of deliberate damage by one of their franchises - and give them the full account that you've posted here.

When I call the buyer today I am going to ask him to send pictures - because I have pictures of the bike that I took the day I packaged it up.

Oh yes, it is going directly to UPS.

Thanks,

Matthew

Update - The Saga Worsens!

I cannot believe this - I am not sure what is going on at UPS - but it is about to get ugly. I have an extremely loooooooong fuse and it takes a lot to really get me upset over anything. But UPS just snipped off the fuse and lit me up.

I get a call from the UPS store where I shipped the bike from - if you've read this thread you know they are hard to deal with. They said they have the bike I shipped out in April back - and it is "barely in a destroyed box" and the bike "looks like it has been in a war". This was a BRAND NEW FELT cruiser when I sent it - and it arrived damaged - and I had it insured.

Well, since I filed with UPS over a month ago for an insurance claim (first time I ever had to do that) - So I contact the buyer today and UPS asked the buyer to bring it to UPS where he lives in Colorado. So he brought the box and the bike - they said they would evaluate it and let him know what they were going to do.

He was waiting for a few days now to hear from UPS but he never did - so he figured they were still making a decision on the insurance claim. Well, what UPS did was put a big label on the box that reads "REJECTED - RETURN TO SENDER" - and they shipped it back to the UPS store - without the buyer's permission.

The buyer contacts his local UPS today and they tell him there is no evidence the bike was not in this condition when it was sent. So now I have to pick up the bike tomorrow (and the UPS store told me when they called if I couldn't make it down there today there would be a $5 per day storage charge - so now I have to pay them 5 bucks tomorrow). I have to take the bike, along with the original receipt - along with photos I took to list it on eBay and head to UPS and try and get this resolved.

The buyer said he still wants the bike - and he has been very patient and kind. What kind of operation is UPS running????

So I contact the buyer today

What a nightmare saga of total *******ry and incompetence MoonKS. I think it's obvious that the lady at your local UPS franchise has a very serious attitude problem but UPS also seems to have systemic incompetence and bad service built into their entire operations. Maybe it has something to do with slave labour pay rates like how when I travel on US airlines or even transfer at US airports my bags get smashed to bits. I was told that if I was a baggage handler for a US airline I would maltreat bags as well. It is still no excuse but the best way to deal with the lady seems to have been the way you treated her kindly like you would treat a very sick person. She is not well and I would hate to spend a day inside her head. I'll bet there's a TV program producer somewhere who could make a great story out of this if you sent them this transcript. I was thinking of air freighting a Felt from the US to Australia cos we can't get them here but after what you write I'm beginning to reconsider.

That sucks. I'm the shipping manager where I work and we ship almost exclusively UPS. We have mostly good experience with them. More so than FedEx or DHL. But it does vary in different regions for all those companies.

Be prepared to fight tooth and nail for that insurance claim. UPS is particularly tough on paying out. They will deny it and deny it and deny it until you wear them down. It can take upwards of two months. Bottom line is that they HAVE to reimburse you if you took out the insurance. If the box was damaged like that when you sent it, then the UPS store, driver, and regional hub should have never accepted the package. Since the box is so destroyed, it stands to reason that whatever tore the box up also damaged the bike. That logic alone should be enough to convince them that it was their fault. You'll have to escalate the process to a supervisor or manager though. The first level people they have on the phone at UPS claims are only there to deny deny deny. You can't get anywhere with them. They probably save the company a ton of money.

They're going to take the bike after they pay out your claim though. So don't get rid of it or resend it to this guy if you want the disbursement. If you don't have it when they come to get it, they'll be on your a**.

Back