Short surges in RPMs at low speed

Local time
5:25 PM
Sorry if this issue has already been dealt with somewhere else...

MY 70cc 2-stroke will occasionally surge for about half a second during accelerations when the engine...usually around 12-15mph and again at 18-20mph. It tends to happen only during take offs during the first few minutes of riding. Any clues as to why this is happening?

You said "occasionally'...what,so it doesn't happen all the time...and even then it only happens when the engine is cold?

Sorry if this issue has already been dealt with somewhere else...

MY 70cc 2-stroke will occasionally surge for about half a second during accelerations when the engine...usually around 12-15mph and again at 18-20mph. It tends to happen only during take offs during the first few minutes of riding. Any clues as to why this is happening?

Since you mention the boost bottle it might be alot to do with that... it sounds like the inverse of a fuel starvation problem - ie the engine is suddenly getting an uneven boost of fuel mixture hence the revving..

You say that it happens at two speed periods while the engine is cold (under choke therefore higher mixture). I think what might be happening is there is a effect similar of that of a tuned pipe happening within your induction system at the two given speeds that is sucking the boost bottle dry and providing the motor with a super-choked amount of mixture (ie very rich) hence the engine is racing...

What might be worth trying to see if this is the case is having the machine on its stand with a cold engine and trying to replicate the problem - if the exhaust suddenly becomes darker (black/blue-grey) at the given RPM/speed point it will indicate that this is what is happening..

Are you using the standard manifold and have you checked the inside of that part for obstructions as well - since you have fitted the boost bottle there might be areas that would facilitate such a velocity wave to build at certain engine speeds and cause this problem...

hope that helped

Jemma xx

Thanks Jemma,

Since the surges are fairly consistent (I can predict them now), I wondered the same thing about it stemming from a resonance issue, thereby pulling from the boost bottle. Looking back, I did make some mods to the exhaust around the time the surges began. I'll try the experiment you suggested and see what happens. Thanks for your help...you really "get" these engines.

Cap MB,

Did you fix your surging problem? My HT 70 is surging at speed too, I have a boost bottle also, but it works fine on my other bike. I guess I'll start digging into some of these fixes on this thread.

Back