Should I buy this moped?

CrazyDan

Local time
6:52 PM
I found an awesome moped near me for $3500 obo. I looked it up and it is worth $770-$4515 from poor to excellent condition. He claims it kicks over (engine not seized) and has spark (good points) in the ad. Doesn't say if it runs or not. Thinking about calling to see if it runs or not. Parts are rare, there were only 116 of these made in 1968.
00505_6XNq4ubRHeYz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00y0y_eyZYCnddLd1z_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00e0e_8PIqjfV11K5z_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

It's the Italian made 1968 Harley-Davidson M-65 65cc 2 stroke. Should I?

Looks pretty cool, but it's considered a motorcycle, unfortunately (no pedals and 65cc, but id bet you could register it as a moped and no one would bat an eye)

3500$ is a LOT of coin for something not really considered "valuable" (ie, there's little to no demand for guys who like Harleys, and likewise from moped enthusiasts) id consider it at 1500$ IMHO.

There are plenty of better options for retro mopeds out there (Puch, Tomos, vespa etc) for a LOT less cash (a MINT puch can be had for around 800$)

if it was me, id pass.

but if you want a cool ride that does 30ish and you got $$$ to blow, go for it! (if you ever need a replacement motor, I've got a 1960s Sachs 5 speed 50cc GP motor in the shop lol)

id also ask about the title and original documents as well, since those can affect the value of it.

It's bill of sale, no title. It's a 65cc 3 speed rated at 4.5 hp new, so should do 50-60 mph.
I was thinking about lowballing at $1800, but you think $1500 is fair? Pretty sure it would draw a crowd at motorcycle shows, being a mostly unknown HD.

It's bill of sale, no title. It's a 65cc 3 speed rated at 4.5 hp new, so should do 50-60 mph.
I was thinking about lowballing at $1800, but you think $1500 is fair? Pretty sure it would draw a crowd at motorcycle shows, being a mostly unknown HD.
Yeah, keep in mind, I'm a cheap ass lol.

but realistically, id be looking at 1500$ with a bill of sale (it'll be a PITA to register without a title, that if it's not "hot") definitely will be a garage queen (id check to make sure all electrical works before purchasing it, since Harley electronics are $$$$ to fix) and for that price it better run like a TOP (if it doesn't run id offer like 1200$)

Depending on the seller as well, he might just be waiting for the "right" (sucker) buyer and get his $$$

But your money your choice, if you want a similar style id look for a NSU quickly or a sears all-state (much cheaper usually and the sears has some parts support)

If it runs 1800 is fair, if not then less. Have you ever heard a 2t Harley run? A little porting and a pipe and it should a quick little bike.

I would avoid it because of no title as i know that will need to be registered and being a brand name like Harley, the first thing their gonna want is a title to prove a clear line of ownership...DAMIEN
Have to run the vin and see it it's hot.

It currently does not run. He ordered new points to see if it is a fix. Says it might also be an issue with the old dellorto carb. He got it from his 87 year old grandpa. Seems a good well spoken guy with no ill intents. Says he would rather get it to a "very good" condition before selling, but to keep in touch. He sounded like he might sell it to me for $1500 if he can't get it running. I would slap a piranha engine in it if I couldn't fix it, lol.

Back