Should I throw a motor on it?

Josh_wilcoxx

Local time
2:04 PM
Picking up this old Schwinn for $10. Should I just restore it? Or should I throw a motor at it? Sorry crop is bad, it's not in my hands yet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220527-222126.jpg
    Screenshot_20220527-222126.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 79
Though it appears you have a nice Chicago Schwinn, that model is not appreciating like the Stingrays and Corvettes.

I would motorize it if you do not plan exceed the stock hp level.
If you hop up the motor, it can shred that back wheel.

I've never been satisfied with the skinny tires. Even 38x700 still wasnt enough. Nice for just peddling, but add more weight and higher speed and your gunna destroy those rims. All my 27 and 700 rims are toast and iut of whack BAD. Hold out for a 7 speed cruiser. You'll be amazed how often you can find em cheap or free..

Also, I have soft spot for vintage road bikes and I say restore n ride or sell for 50!

I've never been satisfied with the skinny tires. Even 38x700 still wasnt enough. Nice for just peddling, but add more weight and higher speed and your gunna destroy those rims. All my 27 and 700 rims are toast and iut of whack BAD. Hold out for a 7 speed cruiser. You'll be amazed how often you can find em cheap or free..

Also, I have soft spot for vintage road bikes and I say restore n ride or sell for 50!
My very first motorized bike was on a 700 Mongoose. That rear wheel turned into a noodle pretty quick. At the time I was riding it for my 7-mile commute daily.

I've had a couple of 700c bikes and they ride well and steering is great. With FD the tires wear faster and the choices are few. 26in wears way better and absorbs bumps better plus choices are endless when buying. 700c bikes do seem to roll better with less resistance.

Back